Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With? >

New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Old 10-22-2004, 03:02 PM

Default New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

This is going to be my first season hunting whitetail and I can't wait to start.

I own several guns but the smallest rifle I have besides a 22 is a 300mag which I've been told is just overkill.

Any suggestions for a new hunter? Price is important, but I'd rather make an investment that I'll get a lot of use from and spend a few more dollars.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Welcome to the board. Lot of different personal preferences on this, but a bolt actiton .270 topped with a quality scope will be hard to beat for all around deer hunting.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where do you hunt, is it shotgun only area?
Old 10-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

welcome to the boards, if moneys an issue and you already have a 300mag go ahead and use it, i have friends here that hunt with them, heck i even bought a 7mmSTW a few years back, have no idea why. i will still hunt big bean/corn fields with it, but its way more gun than i really need. now i hunt with a 260 rem most of the time, but a man can never have to many guns or fishing rods.

REMEMBER it's always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it
Old 10-22-2004, 03:43 PM

Arkansas - No restrictions that I know of in my zone except for seasons.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:44 PM

I have a 35 Remington and a 308 Winchester both are great guns. My dad uses a 30-06 and I have an uncle that uses a 270. There really is no "best gun" it just comes down to your personal preference and where you hunt. Like my longest shots are 50-75 yards (and that might even be pushing it) while a plains hunter might have to make considerably longer shots.

My 35 is more of a brush buster and the 308 is best for open shots but in my situation both work fine. Personally I like the 35 Remington most though just because the "feel" is better in my opinion.
Old 10-22-2004, 04:06 PM

Hi there jatucker welcome to the board. I am from Arkansas too. Glad to see more of us on here. I hunt with a single shot 243 which is a great deer gun and all around varmit gun. And you can pick one up for around 200. My husband uses a 25-06 which is also a great gun. Both my son and my daughter started out with a single shot gun and I think it makes you a better hunter. When you only have one shot you have to make it count. But most important is what you are comfortable shooting. Good luck this year. And happy hunting.

Old 10-22-2004, 07:40 PM

ruger m77 30-06
Old 10-22-2004, 11:01 PM

The best gun to start hunting with is one that you are comfortable with and can shoot well with. This varies from person to person, but as long as it has enough power to do the job and you can hit where you aim, then you're all set!
Old 10-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd use the 300 since you have it for the first year. I know many who use a 300 win for deer hunting and while some may say overkill it works just fine. If you feel you need something else then do so shopping.

Quick Reply: New to Whitetail - Best Gun to Start With?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.