HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   using a pop-up blind advice (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/76692-using-pop-up-blind-advice.html)

KUHNOHIO 10-22-2004 05:21 AM

using a pop-up blind advice

I use a pop-up blind but think that it might scare them away any advice on location, scent killers, just plain helpful adice?

kevin1 10-22-2004 07:06 AM

RE: using a pop-up blind advice

I love mine ,
and I don't recall it ever spooking deer when it had good tangle around it for breakup . I descent mine with a baking soda and water solution and air dry , then apply an acorn or dirt cover scent to the outside . While on stand I have dirt wafers at each window in case of stray breezes and keep the windows zipped up to "murder slits" if I'm gun hunting to hide my movement . If you're not seeing deer while in yours it's time to try another location , that's what pop-ups ate for , portability . PM if you need more .

NY Bowhunter 10-22-2004 07:09 AM

If you have one location you intend to hunt with it I'd get it out there as soon as possible and let it stay there. The deer WILL spook if they come across something that looks foreign to them. No matter how well you think you may have it concealed, they will likely notice it. Get it out there and let it become part of the woods.

kevin1 10-22-2004 09:15 AM

NY ,
yes , they do notice it , but it doesn't usually bother them after they observe that it doesn't move . Older bucks won't chance it , but deer in general have fed within feet of me while I was in it . Setting it out a few days in advance can't hurt , but that's begging to have it stolen these days .

cardeer 10-22-2004 10:02 AM

What others said,plus pray it will fold up,LOL mine is up three years.Cant get it folded down to size to fit in bag

Hawgnman 10-22-2004 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: cardeer

What others said,plus pray it will fold up,LOL mine is up three years.Cant get it folded down to size to fit in bag
What brand is it? Game Tracker? Try it on a very humid day.

annieoakley 10-22-2004 04:13 PM

I cut some limbs and propped up around mine and the deer walk right on by. Got a nice 10 pt out of it last year. So the big bucks will be there once they get use to it. Mine has been up since last year so I think they have gotten use to it by now.

Split-Hoof 10-22-2004 11:34 PM

Just a question.........to those of you that use pop-ups and say they work well if concealed with brush, what is the purpose of using a manufactured blind? Is it solely to keep the elments (wind/rain/snow) out?

I use blinds as well, but construct mine out of natural materials (branches, brush, leaves, etc.) and find it works quite well and doesn't alert deer at all. Having never used a commercial blind I have nothing compare it to, but is there any advantage other than keeping the elemnts out?

Just curious - not trying to criticize in any way!

cardeer 10-23-2004 01:24 AM

So they can be moved to different locations is why I got one

G2 Shooter 10-23-2004 09:42 PM

I have used my Doghouse for the past 3 years and have had deer walk within feet of it. I recently got the Roundhouse 360 because I have spooked deer while drawing my bow and hitting the back of the Doghouse blind. Let me tell you that the Roundhouse is HUGE! It's like a condo in the woods. Two people could sit in it comfortably if you wanted. It is heavy and takes a little longer to set up but it would be worth it for quietness. And yes, they are easy to move and keep out the elements. They can hide your movements better also. I have used several "natural" blinds and you have to move painfully slow when deer are near you. I know thats part of hunting but it's nice to have a few advantages.