Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

shooting gun from stand

Old 10-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shooting gun from stand

How do you keep your gun steady when shooting from stand. I thought of making some type of brace out in front of me. I know you can buy them, but I dont see how you can move your gun around enough to make what type of shot you need. Your gun seems pretty well stationary. Secondly I have heard people saying brace your gun against a tree. The tree is behind you how are you suppose to brace your gun.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting gun from stand

get you some electric tape or duct tape and tape you a branch with a fork in it and tape it!
Old 10-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I have a climber, and most climbers have a rail you sit on while climbing up/down the stand, and I use that if the deer is in front of me, if the deer is behind me then the tree is my brace.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 PM

The best option I have found is to cross your legs and rest your elbow on your knee. Hard to explain but this really helps to keep you steady as long as you can sit down.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:41 PM

I've found that the Realtree EZ-Hangers that are sold in different lengths work very well for resting a rifle on. If you want, you could place one on either side of you, and with the folding arms of the hanger, you can get a pretty steady rest out of it. When not needed, then just fold them out of the way. I use the "long" version, but the 3-arm version would give you a little more flexibility.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:00 PM

put a sling on the gun, wrap your non trigger hand around in the sling and pull it tight while you are holding the rifle. this stabalizes it very well.