HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Please help this young hunter!! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/76503-please-help-young-hunter.html)

arkansasyoungbuck 10-20-2004 02:28 PM

Please help this young hunter!!

I'm 19 years old and I'm starting to hunt a new Wildlife Management Area here in NW Arkansas.

I know the basics of ruts, scrapes, trails, etc...
But I really wanna know what an experienced hunters first move would be in a new area to take a big boy.

I would appreciate some of y'all with experience to help me by givin' me some tips.
Thanks.

longrifle1000 10-20-2004 02:45 PM

RE: Please help this young hunter!!

Get out and scout the area. Find feeding and bedding areas. Then find the trails between them. And spend as much time their as you can. That would be a good place to start.

JerseyJim 10-20-2004 07:41 PM

what kind of hunting pressure does this area see? If it see's a lot of pressure from other hunters then my move would be to figure out what most hunters would do and where they would go. Then I would figure out where that would push the deer to. I would set myself up between where the deer are and where the other hunters will push them. I call it the C.H.Factor. The common hunter factor. What will the common hunter look for and where will he go and how will this effect my stand. You might have big enough woods that this isn't much of an issue for you but here in NJ you always have to figure in the C.H.Factor! The big deer didn't get big by hanging out where everyone is looking for them! They find places people don't look and thats what I look for.....Good Luck...Jim

North Texan 10-21-2004 12:14 AM

My advice would be to hunt in areas that nobody else hunts at because they think these spots are unproductive. The big boys are big for a reason: everyone picks an obvious spot. The biggest deer I have seen were when I have been looking for or gathering cattle. The biggest deer will always jump up from a spot I would have never known existed. Hunters are creatures of habit, just like deer. This makes them predictable. Deer that are big know learned in years past when they were smaller what areas always have hunters. They learn to avoid these areas and got big because they have stayed away.

Striper Phil 10-21-2004 04:08 AM

Get the terrain map of the area. Look for funnels. Funnels are things like gorges or valleys that are wide on one end and much less wide at the other end. This funnels the deer as they traverse the valley from the wide end to the thin end. Set up at deer signs at the thin end. If there are streams walk the bank, deer tend to cross at the same place on streams more so than regular trails. It is also easier to check the freshness of the tracks on the bank where it is likely to be soft or muddy. Hope this helps.

Indiana-Eric 10-21-2004 05:48 AM

dude, good luck finding deer in NW Arkansas, Me and my brother go there like every year and we stay for about 1 month, we usually see 1 deer the whole time we are there
Is the place you are hunting on anywhere near Harrison? or Springdale? If you know a place with quite a few deer there, could you tell me where ??? i have a cousin who has a hard time deer hunting in Searcy county, thanks.

John Deer 10-21-2004 11:42 AM

Get out and scout the area. Find feeding and bedding areas. Then find the trails between them. And spend as much time their as you can. That would be a good place to start.
This is the basic rule for early season and late season hunting. If you are hunting hardwoods, find whiteoak trees. Deer will eat whiteoak acorns over any other type of acorn. If you can find these trees, set up somewhere close along a trail and be patient. If your seeing alot of does, but no bucks, stay there. The rut is going to be picking up in the next few weeks and you'll start to see bucks. Hang in there and don't give up on a spot too quickly. I've seen it happen time and again, guys will hunt a spot a couple of days with no luck and then want to change their stand location. Find good sign, set up, and stick with it. You'll get your chance. Good luck.

annieoakley 10-22-2004 03:58 PM

Hi there young hunter I am an older arkansas hunter. I hunt in the southeast corner of the state. I wish you luck and good hunting. Patience is the key. It sounds to me like you know the basics and the rest is just expeiriance. Just hang in there and enjoy the hunt.