Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 freezer thawed lost meat: what would you do??? >

freezer thawed lost meat: what would you do???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

freezer thawed lost meat: what would you do???

Old 10-19-2004, 04:17 AM

Default freezer thawed lost meat: what would you do???

i have a deep freezer in my garage that is hooked up to a surge protector. well, we had a power surge and it knocked out the surge protector and i only realized it when i walked by the freezer a few days after and it wasn't running!!! now i have a crap load of spoiled meat that i don't know what to do with!!! it's everything from beef and pork to fish and venison!!! i can't just rap it up into garbage bags and put it on the curb there's just too much. i was thinking about maybe taking it out in the woods and using it for coyote bait...........which i'm not sure if that's even legal to do in pa. what would you guys/gals do??? thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: freezer thawed lost meat: what would you do???

if its only been a few days surely not all of it is already thawed, especially if the seals on the door are good and the freezer has not been openned since the power outage. if you are certain its all gone bad, bag it up and toss it. asfar as coyote bait, if any of it is wild game meat dont get caught using it as bait.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:35 AM

thanks for the info: BTW it all thawed out, the garage was all shut up and it get's hotter than a witch's brew in there even on cool days.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Can't help you out much as to what to do with the meat, but there is something else you may want to look into. I had a similar thing happen to me several years ago where the receptacle fried and I lost a freezer full of food. Found out it was covered by my house insurance (less the deductible). I had to show them the bad receptacle and itemize everything in the freezer that was thrown out. Amazing how quick it all added up. Didn't cover everything, but at today's prices, it sure helped.

Bruce
Old 10-19-2004, 04:46 AM

If you're close to the coast and like crabbing, I'd get some red mesh onion sacks and put some meat or fish in each one of them and tie a rope around the top and use it for crab bait. I used to do it all the time and it works like a champ. Put a small rock in the each bag also so it will stay on the bottom. Wait 15 min or so and just pull the rope in real slow---real slow so the crabs don't let go, and they won't . Then have a long handled dipnet ready and scoop any crabs that are holding on to the bags into the net. I used to out crab every one of the trap crabbers from the shore this way!!! You can fill a 5 gal bucket in a very short time this way. Have a great time crabbing!!!! P.S.: I've tried every color onion bag and for some reason red is by far the best for attracting the crabs. Hope this helps ya out. Now you can have a freezer full of crab!!!!....
Old 10-19-2004, 06:33 AM

It happened to me two years ago when I built my new house. I did not realize they had my outlets in the garage on a GFI. I went out of town for a week and there was a storm that tripped the GFI; I came home to a very smelly garage. I dumped the meat in the woods, this was the worst part because I had to take it out of plastic bags, and took the deep freeze to a car wash along with five gallons of bleach. I washed and bleached the freezer, dried it with an old towel, and put 4 of the large plastic containers of coffee in the freezer and let it sit for about a month. The freezer does not smell now and I removed the GFI from my garage.