HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Parasites in Deer Meat (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/76209-parasites-deer-meat.html)

cbanman 10-17-2004 08:53 PM

Parasites in Deer Meat

I originially posted this on the bowhunting site but this forum is probably more appropriate. I shot a doe last night and while butchering this morning I found small white to yellow grubs (about 3 mm X 1 mm) through out the meat over the entire body of the deer. The grubs were all over, and down into the muscle tissue. They had the apperance similar to how yellow grub looks in fish meat. I don't know the diagnosis and was hoping someone else did. Any thoughts would be apprecited.

MO_Bowhnter 10-17-2004 09:55 PM

RE: Parasites in Deer Meat

Well I know you can eat those small worms in fish meat. The kentuckies we catch on the river have them and they have been determined to be safe. I'm not sure if they are the same thing in your deer meat. Maybe a deer processer could give you an answer.

eamont 10-18-2004 06:42 AM

Sounds like some kind of bot fly or blowfly maggots. I've never heard of them in deer, but they afflict cattle and horses through open wounds. Maybe a wildlife bilogist would be a good source to consult, or a veterinarian. I'd toss that carcass if I just butchered a new-killed dear and found maggots in it.

thecontractor 10-19-2004 04:24 AM

safe or not, i wouldn't eat anything that has worms in it!!!

lhook7 10-19-2004 06:50 AM

I would dispose of the meat. Just curious, did the doe look healthy?

1dahunter 10-19-2004 02:46 PM

I aint eatin nothin with worms in it.[:'(]

AJ52 10-19-2004 04:23 PM

I shot a Doe 3 years ago and found long thin pin like worms around the heart area. I was told by F&W biologist it was ok to eat. Can't remember what he called them. Very common in deer. However I have never seen anything like grubs on or in a deer.

cbanman - How long did you hang that freekin deer - Hee Hee.

cbanman 10-19-2004 09:18 PM

She was a big healthy doe. She had lots of fat and a young one with her as well. I didn't suspect any problems until I was butchering. I stated "grubs" but that was a guess at best. I don't know what I was seeing in the muscle tissue. Grubs, cysts, some type of parasite?? I can't say for sure. I do believe thought that it was a parasite of some sort, maybe something not too common since nobody seems to have the anwser. I did call around to some processing shops and one butcher claimed he had seen it once but didn't know exactly what it was. He thought it was some sort of blood born parasite. Anyhow, I'm not one to chance it and I discarded the deer.