Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scenario Question

Old 10-15-2004, 12:34 PM

Default Scenario Question

Lets say you are hunting from a tower stand between powerlines and you see 2 big bucks come on and start grazing on a plot you have there. You take a shot at one of them (gun-season) and you drop it it its tracks. You watch the other buck run to the edge of the woods and stop for a perfect broadside shot. In all the excitement you try to shoot the second one and miss, you watch the 2nd buck run off.

Now, my question is: Would it be a smart move to try the same spot the next day or should you leave it for 3-4 days to calm down or are the chances of that buck coming back very slim and no point even trying?

Note: talking about 2 big 8-10 point roughly 20-25 inch spread on both.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scenario Question

A couple years ago I shot a buck that was with a group of about 10 deer. The group had two other bucks and a piebald doe. The next day I went to the same stand and right around the same time the same group came right up the same path and I took one of the other two bucks! So you never know. Deer are creatures of habit and they seem to stick to those habits most of the time. It's worth a shot if you ask me...Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:27 PM

Id be there the next day as deer tend to be creatures of habit and I have hunted the same spot day after day and they always come back! Good luck I hope you bust the other one!
Old 10-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Illegal to shoot two bucks in the same day in the area I hunt, but if I missed one broadside I would be spending several trips to the range with my rifle to figure out why the shot was off.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

if its that good a buck i'd be back everyday, all day, till one of us couldn't stand it anymore
Old 10-17-2004, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Illegal to shoot two bucks in the same day in the area I hunt, but if I missed one broadside I would be spending several trips to the range with my rifle to figure out why the shot was off.
As I mentioned above, too excited about the first buck made you miss the second one.

Anyway, this happened to me last year when a nice 10 came out and a 8 aslo. The 10 had its rack standing 6 inches outside it ears and the 8 was just a tad smaller. I stalked up to them as they were grazing together and only got a shot at the smaller one (which later revealed a 21" spread).