Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mr. no shoulders!!!

Old 10-14-2004, 06:47 PM

Default Mr. no shoulders!!!

Any ideas on how to keep snakes out of my pop up blind with no floor??? For that matter any other critters. We have various rattle snakes and copper heads.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:44 PM

Default RE: Mr. no shoulders!!!

I have heard that cloves of garlic will work but havent tried it. Most hardware stores sell a powder, I think it is called "snake away"
Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 PM

i have had my blind out for over three years and no problems yet.i am very careful to look inside before i enter.the only problem i have had,is mice after crumbs or crackers i have left where they could get to them.i learned to take a plastic bag and put any food,plastic spoons,forks,salt,pepper etc. and hang it above the door opening inside.i keep canned goods and a stick of crackers in mine since i stay all day most times i hunt it in bad weather.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:29 PM

Dont have that problem here its to dam cold by the time season rolls around.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:20 PM

well i do know that moth balls will keep snakes away but i wouldnt put them in my blind. they may also keep the deer away.

Old 10-15-2004, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't worry about it too much as snakes are not all that likely to join you in your blind. We have Copperheads and various Rattlers here in North Georgia as well and I have never had one come even close to me unless I was moving and happened to see one. Snake Away, as mentioned in another post, is available yet I wouldn't use it in the woods. Snake away is an excellent repellant for Rattlers (97% efective according to the University of Florida) but less effective on Copperheads (92% effective) and nearly 0% effective on Cottonmouths it is a combination of 7% Napthalene (same stuff as moth balls) and 25% sulphur and the remainder inert ingredients. It stinks a lot like moth balls and lasts for up to 90 days so if you are offended by the odor of moth balls don't use it. I don't think it bothers deer since if it did it would also be sold as a deer repellent but I wouldn't want to try it on my favorite Deer stand location. Again, don't worry too much about them, they are not likely to come into your blind.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 PM

You could always bring a wolverine in the blind with you. I'm not sure that would be any better though
Old 10-15-2004, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

sulphur around the perimeter if you and the deer don't mind the smell. A tower blind will stop snakes, but coons, ring tails, mice and wasp will get in if there is a way.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Thankgod I live up here!!! I don't even have to think about any of that stuff when I'm in stand or walking out to mine. Whew!!! I hate snakes!! LOL
Old 10-16-2004, 04:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

These kinds of critters are mighty rare in North Dakota by November. Any critter that can't survive below zero temps is in trouble.

Quick Reply: Mr. no shoulders!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.