Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you take this shot?

Old 10-11-2004, 09:02 PM

Default RE: Would you take this shot?

I'm not familiar with the .243, but assuming I owned one and was confident it could do the job, I would most certainly take that shot.

Each person is different. Some inexperienced hunters may be able to keep their cool and put a bullet in the deer's eye if they wanted to (just an example, I'm not saying anyone should shoot for a deer's eye), while others may shake so bad under pressure that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Just make sure that the young hunter knows not to shoot if he or she is unsure of making a clean shot.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Just a note here, I have noticed that most that have replied are accomplished and experienced hunters from what we know.

Your son may be one himself, but it needs to be second nature for him to take that type of shot. JMHO. I would hate to see his hunting seasons dwindle due to a fatal miss that scewed his hunting for years. ie: bad shot, bad memories, feeling guilt, ......Get him psyched and ready....hopefully he will do fine when the time is right. If not......I hope that he learns the lesson well. Good Luck and Happy Hunting to you both this season.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

At 10 yards with a slug gun maybe,other then that I aint that good
Old 10-12-2004, 05:56 AM

Cherokee kind of hit on what I was going to say. Why is it that people always bring up "A buck of a lifetime" type of a scenario?????? I don't understand. If it's not a shot you would put on a doe, fawn or whatever deer you choose to shoot.....then why would you on a buck of a lifetime?? Take whatever shot the "shooter" is comfortable taking. Plain and simple. If you can't make the shot under real world hunting conditions, you shouldn't be pulling the trigger. There are far too many run and gun hunters out there. If you think this shot is very possible for your son, get him out and start practicing this shot...WITH HIS HUNTING CLOTHES ON! See how he does. Of course shooting at a live animal when it comes crunch is a lot more difficult, but atleast he has some practice under his belt. Teach him breathing techniqies while shooting. Teach him as much as you know and he'll be far better off down the road.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:47 AM

not even a question, YES
Old 10-12-2004, 09:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I would take that shot and be very confident in dropping the deer in it's tracks. I would, however, shoot for the neck and not the chest. I realize that you're talking about a trophy buck but I still wouldn't want that bullet to travel back into the stomach/digestive tract...quite a mess.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Without hesitation, I take that shot buck, doe whatever. Yes I am an experienced shooter now, but even starting out I could still hit what I was aiming at. I don't understand all the contraversy there.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Heck yea, id go for it!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 12:01 PM

I gotta question for all of you posting on this. Im a new guy to hunting only 5 yrs experience,but if you know the pattern of the deer and have a good field of view how come noone mentioned moving the stand. provided its a protable of course.

if you know where they are coming from and going to seems that if you adjust the setup just a bit you can increase the little guys odds a whole lot and prevent a situation none of us would create on purpose. a wounded animal suffering.

just my thoughts, and am curious what some of you more experienced guys and gals think
Old 10-12-2004, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually had this scenario unfold for me last year twice, heres a link and some pics to the story.
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=459864&mpage=1&key=

Quick Reply: Would you take this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.