Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Taxidermist Gives me Details on my Deer >

Taxidermist Gives me Details on my Deer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Taxidermist Gives me Details on my Deer

Old 10-11-2004, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Taxidermist Gives me Details on my Deer

I talked the taxidermist last night and asked him what he thought of my buck. I was wondering because I thought he was a horse of a buck but he only had 6 points. He already threw the jaw away but he would guess that the deer was 2.5 years old. He said it looked like it could be a little older but the antlers just weren't heavy enough. The measurements were:

Tip of Nose to front of eye: 7"
Neck Circumfrence: 18"
Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermist Gives me Details on my Deer

[X(][>:] OK.....................WHAT IS YOUR POINT THERE FELLA??
Old 10-11-2004, 01:06 PM

I'm just taking a stab here and don't get mad at me, but it sort of sounds like your second guessing yourself on whether you really should have shot your buck or not. If I remember correctly wasn't this your first bow buck...right? This buck can now be your benchmark or your goal...now only shoot something bigger.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:14 PM

I am a taxidermist, from my experience 7" eye to nose and 18" neck are what 95% of my 1 1/2 year old bucks measurements are. He could be 2 1/2 if he is from a place where there isn't a lot to eat. Either way he should be real good eating!!!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

imo your first buck with a bow is always a trophy, i killed several does before i could get a buck within shooting range, i mounted my first buck/bow kill and am just as proud today of that deer and the hunt as the day it happened, again enjoy it barnes it dosen't happen everyday, not for me anyway
Old 10-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am very proud of this deer. The reason I ask questions is this:

In recent years, a lot of emphesis has been put on a deer's age. I would like to get a feel for the age of the bucks on our property. Many bucks are in the 140-160lb range. This one was much bigger but only sported a 6 point rack. However, the 6-point rack had a much bigger frame than many 8-point frames I've seen up there. Just wondering if I'm shooting young bucks or bucks with a couple of years under their belts. I liked it better when deer were judged on their racks instead of their birthdays.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Troy,

You aren't the Troy Gentry from Montgomery/Gentry are you? Either way, glad to have your expertise on the forum in taxidermy. In case you are THE Troy Gentry- singer: dude, you dance like a girl...hehe..
Old 10-12-2004, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Troy. The vast majority of deer I take in with 7" eye to nose measurements are 1.5 year olds. It's possible he's 2.5, but it's unlikely he's any older than that.