HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   i cant help but fall asleep (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/75362-i-cant-help-but-fall-asleep.html)

deerhunter1224 10-09-2004 09:06 PM

i cant help but fall asleep

Anyone ever fall asleep in their stand. Each time I go out I tend to start falling asleep. How do I keep a wake?

ir655 10-09-2004 10:00 PM

RE: i cant help but fall asleep

I sit there and listen to the critters around me. Look through my binoculars, constantly reminding myself that if I close my eyes for even a second, I might miss my chance for a doe or even a big buck. Think about it, 99% of the time, deer just "POP" out of nowhere, atleast for me. So taking a nap is not a option of you are hunting.

Patience is a big part of hunting, good luck and keep those eyelids UP!

yakuza wiz 10-09-2004 10:02 PM

i have one time. one thing you can do i shine a flash light in your eyes or before you go to your stand you can splash hot and cold water in your face.:D

D33rHunter2424 10-09-2004 10:21 PM

Drink coffee all morning. Dont get to comfortable.

XzyluM 10-10-2004 01:20 AM

I usually drink a few cups of coffee before I head out to my stand. When I first starting hunting, I often found myself falling asleep in my stand. A few times I've seen fresh tracks right in front of the box stands I was hunting in, which really sucked. When I get the chance to hunt mornings, I try to get as many hours of sleep as I can. Sometimes when I wake in the morning I will decide whether or not I should go if I'm tired. If I'm in my stand and start getting sleepy, I'll focus on something that will keep my attention. Squirrels and other animals are usually always out an about. If there's nothing to get me focused, I'll tell myself that there is a monster buck working his way to my stand, this usually gets me to focus harder and stay awake. I've never had a problem when I get up and drink a few cups of coffee and cook a nice breakfast before I head out. ;)

cardeer 10-10-2004 01:30 AM

Get sleep the night before.Go to bed at 8pm and then get up a 4 am. Then get to the stand and take a cat nap till light.If you still cant stay awake ,you got problems. Take a girl with you,that might help.If you fall asleep then ,you got real problems

jerseyhunter 10-10-2004 03:44 AM

Just think about what will happen if you roll over in your sleep and THAT should keep you awake.[:o] It is peacefull out there though, isn't it.

timbercruiser 10-10-2004 11:43 AM

No, never have. If you think you are going to doze off, just grab a few nose hairs and give them a good yank. Guaranteed to open them eyes up. Works while driving also.

Criggster 10-10-2004 07:29 PM

I too have trouble trying to stay awake when I'm hunting from my treestand on all day hunts. Whenever I feel like I may go to sleep I play it safe, and crawl down from the tree to take a middday nap. I usually don't sleep for more than 45 minutes at the most.

I used to always hunt from the ground, and used to sleep quite a bit during the later part of the season. The first buck I ever killed woke me up from a nap when he was crossing the creek. I also killed a doe once after she woke me up from a nap; ironically these two situations both took place in the same area two years apart! Maybe I should sleep more often.

davidhardegree 10-10-2004 07:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Criggster

I used to always hunt from the ground, and used to sleep quite a bit during the later part of the season. The first buck I ever killed woke me up from a nap when he was crossing the creek. I also killed a doe once after she woke me up from a nap; ironically these two situations both took place in the same area two years apart! Maybe I should sleep more often.
Apparantly, Criggster, you don't snore.

If I were to hunker down and snooze I scare any critter within a five mile radius. I must admit, my head does bob around from time to time.