Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i cant help but fall asleep

Old 10-12-2004, 07:37 AM

Default RE: i cant help but fall asleep

I always hunt from the ground, so my story is different. To keep from getting bored I will read. Usually take a break every 1/2 page to look at the woods. It is funny how I will notice the smallest movement while I am reading. I know it is not the "one with the woods" way, but it keeps me on stand longer and has helped me get several deer. I also take naps, but I make sure I know what is going on and I am in a place that the deer will make noise if they move through. The only risk is movement to get ready for a shot if I am woke up.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 PM

Default RE: i cant help but fall asleep

I have taken to bringing a book as well, not so much to stay awake, but to help me SIT STILL (that's something Ive gotta keep working on). The place I hunt whitetail is mixed oak woods, covered with leaves in hunting season (unless it snows). I know deer can be quiet, but I ALWAYS hear them before I see them. So far.... I'll be sure to tell you when I see one first! . Yes I do scan constantly with eyes and binos, but still, my experience is hearing them first.

As for falling asleep, it's a problem I have. I take solace in the fact that I am never drowsy during peak times (first few hours before and after daylight and last couple of hours). Just not a problem because of anticipation. But mid day, especially after I eat my lunch. Well I might as well get out of the stand and walk around to kick something up for the others, or still hunt because if I sit there, I'll nod off for sure. I always make sure I'm safe and if not, I'll go down and just take a nap at the base of the tree to get it over with. I'm a "power nap" guy and 5-30 minutes nap will be like a shot of adrenaline for me.

But what the other guys have said, hunting is a bunch of different great things - and one of them is a peaceful light doze in the fresh air and quiet of the woods. Nothing like it and worth losing 30 minutes at mid day, if you ask me.