Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 climbing stand (pulling up  and lowering gun) >

climbing stand (pulling up and lowering gun)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

climbing stand (pulling up and lowering gun)

Old 10-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default climbing stand (pulling up and lowering gun)

I was wondering with a climbing stand pulling up and lowering gun. How do you keep dirt from getting inside barrel. I dont want to have the barrel pointing upwards that just makes me a bit nervous.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: climbing stand (pulling up and lowering gun)

I tie my string to my strap and lean the unloaded gun, chamber open, up against a tree, then pull it up slowly. the barrel will be pointed at about a 60 or 70 degree, away from straight up.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:08 PM

I do the same thing with the string. The best (really only) way of ensuring no debris in the bore is to make absolutely sure it doesn't get in there. It's really pretty easy to do if you think it through.

As another precaution, and one I've used quite a bit, is to buy tiny little balloons (yes balloons) that will just fit over the end of the barrel. They keep incidental debris out, especially in rough territory, with rough stalks. You can shoot right through them w/o significant change in trajectory (read, not measurable). Taught to me by a guy I hunted with who had a career in the Army Special Forces.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:55 AM

RE: the string (I use "parachute chord") - make sure it's long enough so the gun is still on the ground when you've got your climber up to it's final spot in the tree. Then, after you're all situated, you pull your gun up. Don't be using a short string that results in the gun being pulled up as you're climbing - makes it hard! Not to mention the thing's swinging around and it's just not good.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice given here, especuially with the "balloon trick"...I use this during M/L season and have seen hunters using a condom for the ame thing. Also, when I use my climber, I tie my rope to the top 1/2 of my stand, that way I don't have to be concerned with the weapon until I reach my height. The biggest things here is to make sure you have enough rope with slack when you stop climbing....
Old 10-09-2004, 01:20 AM

I hook my string to the strap and lay the gun barrel up against the tree. I never pull my gun up or lower it loaded. Too risky in my opinion. Safety always comes first.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

you can also use a piece of tape
Old 10-09-2004, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always have a couple of pair of laytex surgical gloves in my pack. Slide one finger of the glove over the barrel and pull the firearm up, muzzle first. Of course you make sure the firearm is not loaded. You can than recycle the glove and use it when field dressing your game.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a little red pouch with a velcro band that I found in the woods. I think it was lost by a ML hunter. Comes in real handy. Wish I had a couple more so each gun would have it's own.
Old 10-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put a condom over my muzzle secured with a small rubber band, when Im up in my stand and pull my rifle up I take the condom off the muzzle and im ready to hunt.