Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong >

My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Old 10-07-2004, 03:45 PM

Default RE: My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

You have Issues! As I read you're comments, you are entitled to your comments the same as everyone else is entitled to their comments as this is a forum and a somewhat form of freedom of speech but I do not beleive anyone called him an A$$hole as you call all of us with our opinion!! Yes, you have Issues!
Old 10-07-2004, 09:12 PM

I didn't mean to actually call anyone an a$$hole. I meant to say (and I believe actually did say it if you read my rant again) that the sort of attitude I was pointing out is a reason hunters and gun owners are viewed as such by the non-hunting, non-gun owning public.

Sorry if my rave was over the top, but I stand behind the point I was trying to make.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

9pointer123:

One other thing I would like to mention, though it is not involved in why I hunt.

Hunters provide a benefit to game animals and to our non-hunting neighbors by maintaining game populations at or near management objectives. State governments own the game in the several states and manage the populations of these game animals through sport hunting regulations and quotas. Too many deer and they become a hazard to drivers in some areas (don't think so, talk to people in NW Wisconsin) and/or they invade suburban areas and damage people's gardens. Too many game animals and they are more liable to a rapidly spreading disease which kills many more of these game animals than would be the case if their numbers were held in check. Too many game animals and they are subject to population crashes where 90% of the species dies off. The population crashes are the result of populations increasing to the limits of habitat in average years and then comes along a harder than average year -- less rain and less food than average, more snow and hence less obtainable food -- and most of the animals starve to death because there isn't enough food to go around. Of course, we as adults know that even while most years tend to the average, every 10 or 15 years there is a much worse than average year, just the way statistics and random processes work.

So, the state game departments decide that the deer population should be reduced by a 20% kill to keep the population stable, and they set prices, season lenghts, and other constraints so that the results tend to their objective. If they make a little error one year, they correct the next. Oklahoma lengthened its deer rifle gun season two years ago, presumably because not enough deer were killed in the shorter season to balance the population appropriately. Formerly predators such as wolves, coyotes, and bears tended to be the limiting factor on game populations and hence population crashes during "lean years" did not occur, or at least not commonly. Now, however, the habitat has changed and in some places deer have no natural enemies to thin them out.

Anti-hunters seek to find alternative game management mechanisms, but there has yet to be found such a successful mechanism. And hunting generates a lot of revenue for businesses, leading to taxes. I'm not talking about guns and ammo, but rather hotels, restaurants, gasoline purchases, clothing such as gloves, hats, etc.

Some hunters are improved by their passion for hunting to the extent of maintaining their physical conditioning and keeping their weight down just because they want to be up to the rigors of hunting. Not all hunts are physically demanding, and not all hunters reduce their weight and undertake physical training to be ready for hunting, but many do.
Old 10-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I went back and tried to interperete your post and I feel my reply, along with others, is fitting. I don't understand your response to the post that your initial thread alledged.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Zekeskar, I am the one who wrote that "most anti-hunters are closed minded!"
I think that is a very fair statement! But to be even more fair, I'd have to say that most avid hunters are closed minded too. In that, we will not be persuaded not to hunt!
The big difference is that we, closed minded hunters do not seek to impose our will upon others! However, closed minded anti's DO seek to impose their will upon us! They would love to have ALL hunting OUTLAWED!
The best thing to do in conversation with an anti is to start out friendly! Some may be open to reason, but if they are true anti's then they are already ignoring sound reasons as to the benifit of hunting!
What I am saying, is don't turn NON-HUNTERS into ANTI"S! Once you've presented the facts of hunting, and find that they are truely a closed minded anti, the best thing that we can do is politely go on, let them be the ones that do the ranting, and raving!
There are probably many more non-hunters, than hunters and anti's combined! The best way to sway the non-hunters, is to present the facts, and allow the anti's to be the ones that show their butts!
Old 10-09-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

he probably cannot understand you if you talk like you write because i don't know what the hell you typed . get spellcheck
u r too funny!
Old 10-09-2004, 01:56 PM

i cant remeber where i read this but i htink it pretty much explains why i hunt

I Hunt.....

Because I like to, it is an inherent part of my physical and mental makeup.

Because it runs deep in my veins and soul, passed on to me through the generations of my forefathers.

Because I love the environ where wild game is found, which are invariably beautiful, and hidden from environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly.

Because in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my hunting is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion in a world all too consumed with success.

Because deer, turkey, bear, and other game do not lie, cheat, cannot be bribed or bought, or impressed by power or wealth, but respond to quietness, patience, and being one with their environment.

Because I believe that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one, do not want to waste the trip.

Because mercifully, there are no telephones hanging in trees, nor plug ins for laptops.

Because only in the woods can I find absolute solitude without loneliness.

Because somedays I just enjoy seeing the miracle of nature that GOD created, without firing a shot.

And finally, I hunt not because I regard hunting as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun!
Old 10-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

unless he is a true vegan he is still killing animals. and fairly inhumane i might add
Old 10-09-2004, 02:18 PM

9point123;

If you're really liking the girl your with, and everything is working out for the two of you. Really, your best bet with her Uncle, is to not even bring up hunting when around him. Start takling football, or something that he's interested in. Just be polite to him. You don't have to live with him. So the little time you're around him just talk about something else. And go hunting when you leave.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:46 PM

Well.......I haven't seen any ladies post yet, so, I'll let your girlfriends uncle see that it isn't just men who are hunting.

If God grants me harvest. I answer Him in prayer. For all that He has given to me and my family.
I try to put a deer in the freezer each year to provide meat for my family.
I hunt other game animals too. They are put to use for my family's food supply.
I love knowing that I can provide food for my family and, be out in nature while trying to harvest God's abundant blessings that He has so freely given.

Some people will never understand hunting. If you are trying to convince this uncle....don't try too hard. It is his free will to do as he chooses. Just be strong in your own convictions. Sometimes we try too hard to change people. That's not our job. Being a strong person in your own right is your job.

Quick Reply: My girlfriends uncle thinks hunting is wrong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.