Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

big enough or one more year??

Old 10-02-2004, 02:06 PM

Default big enough or one more year??

I have changed the film 4 times in the last 6 weeks and only had one 2X2 along with a slew of does. They started taking some of the corn out of the adjacent fields and low and behold my camera was full after only a week. I got quite a few of this buck and am trying to decide if I want to take him if/when the opportunity arises. Any thoughts/advice? Would you take him? Hopefully, I got it attatched to the post.

Old 10-02-2004, 02:20 PM

Default RE: big enough or one more year??

He'd be big enough for me, no doubt. It depends on what you consider to be a trophy in your area. In 20 years of hunting in my area, that would be in the top 3 of the biggest bucks I've ever seen.
Old 10-02-2004, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

He may not be real big but he'd be a keeper in my area as well .We have bigger here but he's be mid range and well worth taking in my books.

nubo
Old 10-02-2004, 05:08 PM

I am afraid he is only 3 1/2. With another year, he will be pretty nice. I don't mind being patient and taking a doe in December if I have to. It's always a little bitter sweet taking a deer this early anyway. I enjoy being out in the woods more than anything. Here is another pic.

Old 10-02-2004, 11:15 PM

I would pass. If this buck is only 3 1/2 then I would probably give him 2 more years, 5 1/2 is when they start putting on their best antlers. The biggest jump (antler wise) that a buck makes is between the 3rd and 4th year, so another year will certainly be worth the wait.
Old 10-03-2004, 04:32 PM

I'd probably age him at 2 1/2. He still has that long legged look of a younger deer. Still, a nice deer.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd probably age him at 2 1/2.
I agree. Let him go, if you know he will not get shot this year. If you have other hunters then its up to you. good luck
Old 10-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

He'll be bigger in another year or two -- no doubt about that . . . but that, of course also means that no one else kills him. If you can guarantee his safety and feel likely to be able to get a shot in a future season, by all means hold off. Around here, I pass on smaller bucks all the time only to have some other "less selective" hunter kill them. I'd have to shoot this buck.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:38 PM

There are 3 rifle hunters and 2 other bow hunters in the same section. I don't know who they are, but there is a fair amount of pressure all over this area anyway. I would say he has a 50-50 chance of making it through the year. Our area is about 80 acres of trees and 220 of beans and long grass. I am going to let him walk and hope he makes it. If someone isn't willing to let deer this size go, we will never get any real big ones...
Old 10-04-2004, 04:02 PM

he looks about three and a hlaf years to me. now i am not you and i don't know what type of hunting pressure is around you, but i hunt a section by myself and i would probably let him walk this year and hope he doesn't cross any fences or get hit by a car for a year and then try and get him. but then again if it is the last day of the season and i have a buck tag burning a hole in my pocket i might take him. he is definitely a nice buck in my opinion one year will only make him better.

Quick Reply: big enough or one more year??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.