Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BIG bucks in PA

Old 10-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BIG bucks in PA

I wish every state would do the same. It's a great idea.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Spike

I live in Potter County. I was a big fan of Antler restrictions. Now i'm not so sure. We have entirely too many spikes running around. I'm not talking 1.5 year old spikes, i'm talking 2.5 year old spikes. Starting to think maybe we shouldn't kill our prize bull and let the scrubs get all the doe's. Its working in farm country but in the big woods of potter this is turning into a bad idea in my opinion. Not to mention that with AR came HR or herd reduction. I'm not seeing enough deer to even talk about. 2 deer a night max. I'm used to seeing 10 atleast. 1 buck a 4 pt in 8 days of hunting, without missing one day. Hopefully NY is better this year, I think I'll buy a tag and try my luck up there.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

What makes you think those spikes are 2.5yo? I won't say that it doesn't happen though. I've gotten some reports from Potter coutny that say otherwise, of course maybe not in your area of the county.

I'm all for the AR's. I've been for them since the "talks" with Alt. I've seen a noticable increase in the number of larger racked bucks, bucks in general, and a decrease in the doe population. There sure isn't a whole lot of deer around here like there used to be, but there's still plenty and the bucks have a little age to them now.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:23 AM

I believe in the theory and I'm glad some others are seeing the evidence. Me? I'd be happy to see A deer in my stand... haven't seen a deer while archery hunting in PA in 3 years. But my family doesn't have any land so I have to go to public land. We'll see how this year goes... but I might be hanging it up.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Griz,
Do you hunt early season or hit it later when the rut approaches? Alot of guys go out when it is warm, and when they see no deer, quit. Spend the time in November and you won't be disappointed. Things are totally different later on. Dress warm!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:00 AM

Hi, livbucks-
Yup, I've hunted early, mid, and late. I'm up against a wall and I just don't know where to go from here.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Griz,
Try scouting a new area. The place I bowhunt can be feast or famine and I know what it is like to see nothing. I hang in there and things do come together eventually. Bow season can be a tough nut sometimes because there is not alot of hunter movement to get the deer up and going. I would try a different area before I just up and quit. Get one under your belt and you will be hooked for life, kinda addicting once you taste.
Good luck
Old 10-14-2004, 07:48 AM

Hi, Livbucks-

Yeah, I've been trying to move the stand a bit and have been looking around. I upped the record to 0 and 4 last night - I thought for sure the incoming front would have some things moving around.

I've been able to take deer when I had the chances to hunt in central Maryland, but that's like shooting in a petting zoo. I just haven't been able to figure my PA deer out.