Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Need to build some tree-stands... >

Need to build some tree-stands...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need to build some tree-stands...

Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Need to build some tree-stands...

I dont think i have seen those tie on steps before they look unsafe
Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the response! Somehow I started building a new porch to the house....[:-]

I will get to the stand in the next couple of days!

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2004, 01:48 AM

i dislike the smaller platforms and (sometimes) unstable nature of "hanging" tree stands, so i build permanent stands whenever possible.

here's a stand i built a few years ago using CCA 4X4's, 2X4's, and 2X6's. it's only 10 feet to the platform, but is rock solid and roomy enough for two hunters. when it's been "brushed" it looks much better.

here's a stand i built this summer in an old hedge tree that has considerable ice damage from last winter. i used 6" and 8" galvenized 3/8 lag screws to secure pre-cut hedge branches to the tree. i pre-drilled the branches to prevent splitting from the lag bolts and leveled the platform's framing. i used cca 2X6 for flooring and secured the boards w/ galvenized nails. the platform is almost 20 feet from the ground and is approx. 4'x7'.

here's the view from the ground due north

here's the view from the ground due south

Old 10-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: GhilleGuy

I dont think i have seen those tie on steps before they look unsafe
I've been climbing those same steps for four years now. The last time was just a couple weeks ago and they have never been taken off that tree or retied a single time. The rope looks just like new and they are easier to hold on to than just about any thing else I've ever used bar none, screw ins of all types, lag bolts, you name it.

Easier to instal and faster if you know how to tie knots.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I just bought 2 cheap lock on stands at Rural King today for $28 a piece. You can't afford to build your own for that.

Sure not anything real special, but for that deep in the woods spot you don't want to carry something to every time or a high probablility of theft I like 'em.

Add to that the unsafe look the steps give people who don't know thier knots and hey? It works great for me.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:12 PM

Depending on what type of stand you're looking for here's one I built this year.

Legs are 16' 4x4's, stand is 6' inside, floor is 4'x5', all flooring is 2x6 or 2x8, basically whatever I found laying around. After sitting in my ladder stand last year and having the weather change from rain to sleet to snow, then back to rain all day for 2 days I said to myself, not next year. Windows are all 12" x 42", flip open inside. All I can say is LET it SNOW!
Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Hey grizz660 thats one mighty fine stand, If I had private land thats what Id build