Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

whos deer....really?

Old 09-30-2004, 03:27 AM

Default whos deer....really?

hey i had a thought today just figured id get other opinions. my question is god put these animals on this earth for us. what gives the government the right to charge us all this money for hunting lic..? i understand it goes towards the state but really. i have about 50-60 dollars into lic..this year. i dont have a problem with bag limits and laws but why am i paying for a lic...when their my deer or your deer.....just a thought. i do thank god though to be able to enjoy hunting.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: whos deer....really?

Your dead right on that one mate, we get charged to hunt here as well but does the goverment do anything to help manage the deer??. NO. they just sit back with there hands out saying you want to hunt, you pay the price, the can get stuffed.[:@]
Old 09-30-2004, 04:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

They are not your deer ,they are Gods deer.and God said to eat them.He did not charge anythig to create them
Old 09-30-2004, 08:33 AM
etw

The deers belong to the state. Hunting is a privilege NOT a right. I read this somewhere, probably in my state's game laws booklet. So it must be gospel.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

what gives the government the right to charge us all this money for hunting lic..?
Because the money goes into things that help hunting and fishing. Land purchases,fish stocking and hiring conservation officers to name a few.

Look at what happened to deer,Elk and Turkey populations when hunting weas virtually unregulated. Without hunting license fees these animals would be non existant.

I have 68 dollars into my license this year. That is for a whole year of hunting and fishing I spend $40 just to take my wife and two kids to the Chinese buffet.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

While some of the money is used for CO's, NR's dept, Education and Development of habitats,etc...it is nothing more than a tax grab. I call it a leisure tax as it is not mandatory of all citzens but only those who take leisure in pursuing the activity. If all the money was returned to Natural Resources than I would be tickled, but I know that ain't true for my area. I simply grin and bare it! [:@]
Old 09-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

In some ways I agree with you, but in other ways I dont. By the early 1900s, before there was any kind of wildlife management, the deer population in Arkansas (where I live) was "hunted" almost to extinction. The same applied to Missouri, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. I say "hunted" because it wasnt really hunting. Before govt controls, many people did not use fair chase practices and slaughtered deer (and other game) indiscriminately. I have found many historical accounts of many such instances. One example I'll never forget was a time when there was a deep snow with a crust of ice on top that made it very difficult for deer to move, but dogs could run on top of the ice with no problems. Several hunters used their dogs to round up hundreds of deer and and they slaughtered them all just for fun. I've also found accounts of people killing a hundred deer or more by shooting from the train on trips from Memphis to St. Louis.

Bottom line is, mankind needs controls.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a very down to earth person and belive in fairness, and what is right is right. I dont mind the man made laws to keep the game populations up, but i dont want to pay the government when you got federal employees making a 6 figure salary working 40hrs a week and doing nothing becuase they are part of some county club who takes care of only certain people! I just watched that movie walking tall with the "rock" in it, and that movie is how things should be!
Old 09-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I really doubt anyone except maybe the head guy in F%G is making 6 figures. The world according to The Rock" now ther's a concept.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

If we looked at everything with that additude this world would go to he// in a handbasket quick. God put these trees on this world for us right? I should be able to cut down whatever I feel like. Well, if this was true there would be alot of woodlands that would be decimated. These fish are my fish, God put them here for us right? I should be able to set up a net at the bottom of the stream and take what I want right? Well, there goes all the fish in a matter of weeks. And I shouldn't have to pay a cent to take them right? Well, there goes all of the land our money would have protected to the next developer who thinks the stream would look real neat next to some nice houses. I shouldn't have to pay to shoot deer right? Well, once again there goes the billions of dollars that buy all of our public land. There goes the thousands of game wardens that help put a stop to poaching. There goes any form of quality deer management that may be in place. Their goes all of the money that goes into studying wildlife and managing their habitats. You would never know how many deer should be taken to control herd population. You would never know how many deer were harvested. You would never know if the area you live in has the means to support a larger herd. Imagine what our cities and towns would be like if there wasn't any money to pay police officers. Now imagine our wildlife if there weren't and game wardens. I would say that hunting would become a thing of the past without them so I for one have no problems whatsoever paying to ensure the future of this great way of life. Now I live in Pa so I can only speak for me, I'm not sure how the money is distributed in other states.

Quick Reply: whos deer....really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.