HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Climbing Deer Stand Question ?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/73744-climbing-deer-stand-question.html)

jrbsr 09-24-2004 10:41 AM

Climbing Deer Stand Question ??

What does Every One Ues??

And What would be a good inexpensive one to get ?

What one would be light weight ans easy to carry ??

Thank You Very Much.

Hiawatha 09-24-2004 11:09 AM

RE: Climbing Deer Stand Question ??

I use a homemade climber which was fairly inexpensive. It works pretty good but you wouldn't catch me carrying that thing too far. It is quite heavy so i usually just haul it on the bike to where i want it. It would be nice to have somthing lighter but its not in my budget at the moment.

AJPeppers 09-24-2004 11:16 AM

I use a summit - any model will do. They are exteremely light. As for cost do you want to be sitting 30ft up in the air with the cheapest thing money can buy from China? Spend the money and get a reputable brand.

bugsNbows 09-24-2004 11:59 AM

Summit or Lone Wolf. Don't bet your life on a cheapo stand. Always wear a full body harness.

m.t.hands 09-24-2004 03:01 PM

hey jrbsr, find the one, or brand you like and then check ebay, the classifieds here, gunbroker.com. you'll find a good deal, i have owned, baker (ugh) summits, and ole man brands, my favorite is the old man climbers, ease of use, comfort, quality are the biggest reasons, they used to make a carbon fiber climber that weights around 17lbs best i can remember but it was pricey, summit would be my next choice, and around here you can find them (older models) for sale in the newspaper. whatever you buy proceed with caution, these things can be death traps, it happens every year, thats another reason i like the ole man and the other sit/stand climbers ease of use. and always use your safety harness

timbercruiser 09-24-2004 05:47 PM

Try to borrow a couple of stands if you can from friends and try climbing with them. Some sports stores will have a few you can sit in on a pole outside just to check them out. I like the Summit Viper, but one of the best less expensive stands I have tried is the Buckshot.

strut 09-24-2004 08:57 PM

Summit Viper all the way, very comfortable, easy to use, hard to beat IMO.

TURKEY FAN 09-25-2004 07:39 AM

I like the Summit Viper
NUFF SAID!

PA-BOW-MAN 09-25-2004 12:31 PM

summit stands are awesome, i would say get one. Lone wolf looks nice but i dont own one, they seem to uncomfortable. I have a tree lounge, its my favorite stand ever and i've owned about 20. Its not cheap though.

Swampmonster 09-25-2004 10:11 PM

I use both the Summits and Lone Wolf stands. I like both. I have just ordered one of the Summit Backpacker stands that folds flat. Don't know if I will like it, but have heard nothing but good things about it.

The problem is, I don't know what "inexpensive" is to you. When it comes to comfort and convenience, $1,000 is inexpensive to some. I think buying stands is like buying most everything else - you get what you pay for. I once bought a cheap and gianormous stand from Warren & Sweat. Gotta tell you. The stand was very comfortable to sit in. But it was HEAVY! It was also LOUD! I clanked up a storm as I entered the field. And the thing used metal pins that you had to slide into holes that were in metal blades. It all sounded so nice and quiet when I was setting it up out back to try it out. But when I started setting it up at 4:00 AM in the woods? Well, I may as well have just stood up on a rock and screamed at the top of my lungs while banging a pot with a hammer. So, I tried others and have settled on the Lonewolf. I also use the Summit.

If you want an inexpensive stand, consider buying a Viper used. Never have done this myself, but I hear about other guys doing it.