Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what would you do??????

Old 09-24-2004, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what would you do??????

It sounds like there are more than a few persons (not hunters) here doing the illegal thing and they probably have been doing it for some time It's very easy to say..."drop a dime" because no one here has any tolerants for people that poach deer, we're talking family here. Yes, it is absolutely the right thing to do informing the DNR but consider the consequences. Is it in your interest to be outcast by your own family. You may suffer or possibly regret doing what you consider the noble thing to do and it's something that would be difficult to reverse. Very tough call where family is involved. Whatever decision you make, I hope you never regret making it.....Good Luck!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 08:18 AM

I agree with Jimmy s on this one. If it were random strangers it would be an easy call to make, but family is a whole different deal. Maybe before calling the law you could try to reason with them and convince them of the proper ethics and reasoning behind it.I think I would try to talk to them first. Maybe use whatever convinced you to change can help them change. I would exhaust every option, then if all else fails make a call. I can't honestly believe that so many people would be so quick to call the law on a family member. I hate poachers as much as the next guy, but its still a tough call.
Good Luck to everyone this year.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Tough or not Jimmy ,
the right thing to do is ALWAYS the right thing to do . Eric isn't entering a popularity contest , he's considering a very difficult decision about what he is legally obligated to do . In the same situation I would turn them in even if I knew that those involved would never speak to me again . Poachers are poachers , they deserve what they get .
Old 09-24-2004, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I try not to say "Always or Never"....kevin...If your father was a poacher, would you turn him in?
Old 09-24-2004, 10:19 AM

I too would have diffulty turning in family. I mean it's family!

Eric it certainly sounds as though you've seen the light. I can tell by your words you are a Sportsman. You want to do right but turning on family is always a difficult desicion to make. Deep down you know what to do. It seems to me you're looking to justify your actions before you take them. If you've discussed the situation with the family involved and they don't care to abide by the law about the only chance you've got to solve the problem would be to make the call. I definately support your efforts and your sound judgment on this situation.

Even if they are in dire straights there are other ways to get food. You know what to do.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM

i know it would be a tough call to turn in ones on family. i would talk to them and let them know your feelings, concerns and possible actions. either way, by confronting them or just turning them in, there will be hard feelings and anger involved.

i have only killed five deer in my entire life, but i have done it honest...!!
Old 09-24-2004, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't in anyway defend the actions of your family members. However, I don't think you should turn them in. What they are doing is wrong but it isn't a crime against humanity and it certainly isn't something that you should throw away family for. Put yourself in thier shoes. Back when you were poaching if your brother or cousin would have turned you in, what would you have done? I don't poach but if one of my family members turned me in for any reason be it right, wrong or indifferent, once I got through kicking their ass, I wouldn't ever speak to them again. I just don't think you turn on family over something like this. If it was child abuse or something heinous then I would personally ****** the cops to their door but not over this. JMO
Old 09-24-2004, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

Having managed people for many years I learned to make others actions seem like thier own but with my facilitating. Most of the time it is when you want somebody to do something they don't want to do. Help them to come up with the solution that you already have and your well on your way to getting them to do the job.

I might try and apply this in a slighlty different way. I would find an ethical "Hunter" who is a true conservationist as most of us are, and have him or her witness some of these actions. Let someone else do the work for you.

Given they are family members and you used to join them it sounds like it probably wouldn't be hard to put someone in the right place to "catch 'em in the act".

Heck, if I lived close by I would be happy to cruise the road to catch them for you and get licence plates etc. I would have no problem testifying to the DNR about what I saw or found and who I saw doing it.

Having the complaint to the DNr come from someone else accomplishes what everyone saying is the right thing to do and keeps you out of direct conflict with your family.

The other idea is to take one, just one, who you think is most likely to see the light like you did and help to change thier view. Sounds like you tried this already but there is power in numbers. If there were more than just you in the family putting pressure on the law breakers it will no doubt influence behaviour a little more.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

just do whatever your heart tells you to do, honestly you should protect your family at all costs but thats just my opinion. Just when they eventually get caught which they will, remember to tell them I told you so....
Old 09-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Eric,

I can sense your reluctance to actually turn to law enforcement, but something does need to be done to bring these activities to a halt.

Maybe there is a family elder you can turn to or a member of your church or some other trusted figure in your community short of law enforcement.

If the family members who are poaching have younger ones around them who see these activities (whether the young ones know laws are being broken or not) they will eventually come to the conclusion that they too can set their own rules. They are being led by very poor example. Then eventually (and unavoidably) these young ones will grow up breaking whatever rules (laws) they please or don't agree with. Eventually they will deal with law enforcement. Essentially what these other family members are doing is a form of child abuse.

In my experience, folks who take part in poaching activity generally do not exercise very good safety either. Firearms stored for quick access, firearms left in loaded conditions, etc. Setting up scenerios which are deadly "accidents" waitng to happen to innocent victims.

I wish you luck with this whole thing and I admire you for coming to the realazation as to right and WRONG! I sense you are a younger fella and have overcome a hurdle which keeps many youngsters down. That is the ability to see a problem, identify the cause, distance yourself from it and most importantly, put forth the effort to try and change what is obviously wrong.

Stand tall and proud, don't change your stance, America was built on folks standing up for the right reasons and not being dissuaded.

Uncle Matt (in IL)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.