Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How do you hang your deer?neck up/neck down. >

How do you hang your deer?neck up/neck down.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hang your deer?neck up/neck down.

Old 09-24-2004, 08:22 AM

Default RE: How do you hang your deer?neck up/neck down.

I'm originally from northern Minnesota where we always hung our deer head up. Since I've moved to Pennsylvania most people I've run into hang them head down. From my experience, head up makes it much easier to skin the animal.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:24 AM

How do you skin from the head down? Ive only done it with the legs up. I would think that having to cut around the neck would get hair everywhere.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the neck down the skin just rolls back upon it's self and there is less hair. I've done it both ways and neck up seems to be easier and less hair.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:01 PM

we skin up their hind legs and break it below their knee. so you have that tending to hang deer on. we then put the two tendings on a thing that looks like a close hanger and pull em up head down
Old 09-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this... as mentioned a couple of times already. Hang the deer head up, (rope around the deers head not his rack) then cut around the neck and work the hide down a few inches until there is enough loose hide that you can wrap a golfball or a rock of approx size completely by the hide. Tie a second rope around the hide below the rock or golfball (the rock or golfball prevents the rope from slipping off the hide) and then tie the other end to the bumber on your truck or to your four wheeler. Then slowly back up the vehicle and the hide will pull right off without any cutting or sore fingers from having to work the hide and pull it off manually. You'll obviously need to trim around the legs also. Try this once and you'll never skin another deer any other way, I guarentee it!
Old 09-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can skin them the same way head down. You just cut around the back legs and cut the tail bone into and tie onto the hide there and pull it off the same way. This way you don't have to handle him twice and you don't have to hang it as high either.
Old 09-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

If its a nice buck to be mounted, then from the hind legs, if its a small buck, or a antlerless deer then from the neck
Old 09-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: killer243

we skin up their hind legs and break it below their knee. so you have that tending to hang deer on. we then put the two tendings on a thing that looks like a close hanger and pull em up head down
It's called a Gambrel. I use them too-- carcass with the head down. Have little problem with hair from skinning. I would think there would be a big problem skinning from the neck down, since you have to dig a saw or knife into the neck, pushing hair into a meaty area.

I don't eat deer legs, so skinning from the legs makes sense to me. But hey, it takes all kinds.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:04 AM

Zrexpiolt I tried gutting my deer with hind legs up. Everything fell in to the brisket cavity/neck area. it was difficult to spread the ribs to get the guts out and it was impossible to have it all fall in to a plastic lined trash can. I gut them before I hang them, but if you could tell me how you are successful at your method,I'd apreciate it.
And Georgetownboys, don't you worry about getting visceral fluids all over your meat if you gut after skinning?
Old 09-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

I always hang them head down, its all in the way you are taught. i worked in a slaughter house in NZ, and we hung every head down, when taking the gut bag out, make a small cut at the top and insert your first two fingers pointing down. follow them down with the point of the knife and the guts will just fall out. you can use the fingers to hold the guts back when making the cut. hope this helps .

Quick Reply: How do you hang your deer?neck up/neck down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.