Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer rifles

Old 09-20-2004, 11:23 AM

Default RE: deer rifles

Guys buy magnum rifles for the same reason they buy a 1 ton 4x4 pickup to drive down the highway to the grocery store. Because they look and sound cool!

BTW, I have never owned a rifle that shoots a belted magnum cartridge. I've killed whitetails with everything from a .243 to a 577/450 Martini-Henry, but it's more because I'm a shooter rather than a hunter. I've never shot more than 5 deer with any one caliber, always playing and experimenting.

Hunt with a magnum rifle if you want, it IS a free country.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I know I have shot fifty deer with the 6.5x55. I don't know of a better deer rifle. Some as good but none better. It will cleanly drop them at 300 yards. I have not tried one any further Nor will I unless its an animal already hit and about to get into a area where it can't be retieved. Several years in a row we had a big problem with to many does and we could get up to 12 permits per family many of these were double doe tags. I have shot an awful lot of deer. Only three with a magmum. (300 Win Mag) Although I have owned five 7MM Mags I have only shot a couple deer with them. The 308 and the the 30-06 are next in line for the most used deer rifles. I now use the 257 Roberts and 250 Savage the most. I am about to pick up a new 7mm-08 barrel for my Encore and I have a 7mm-08 rifle in the Savage Scout rifle. I will leave the big powder burners to the Magnum fever crowd. More powder to them.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:37 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

I always wanted a 30-06. My reason? well it had a rep for being powerful and more importantly it was the american weapon in world war I and world war II. It was designed as a man killer but adapted for use as a hunting rifle. It's capable of delivering killing shots far past the average hunter's ability to hit a target. I finally bought one 2 years ago and killed a deer with it last year. This year I bought a used Marlin 30-30 because I figure it will make a good first rifle for my oldest boy.(well' see, I might put him behind a 243 r 270 first) I will be carying it this season in hopes of "breaking it in" and giving it some family tradition to pass on to him. Some folks like tank busters and some folks like a 243 or 270 because they are "flat shooters". My first wife's father used to ridicule my desire for a 30-06 because he called it a "redneck rifle" He shot a .270 because it was flat shooter and said the 30-06 had too much kick and too much arc. I always felt that the art of marksmanship involved adjusting for range. But that old man, much as I disliked him has killed more deer than Iwill probably ever see in the woods. I still like my '06. But that's just me.

Now watch what you say about my truck.

David
Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was designed as a man killer but adapted for use as a hunting rifle.
Actually if you believe some of the old stories the 30-06 was designed to kill a horse at 500 yards, not a man. Back in those days the cavalry was still on horseback. Just thought that would be an interesting bit of believe it or not.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands

would you want to stick an animal with a dirty nail, and let the green gang get him, or ....
That's funny right there

I acquired my guns when my father passed, long before I could hunt. I currently hunt with a Rem. model 7 243. It's a small size rifle(light weight so he could hunt when he was sick with the cancer), but the caliper is fine for me. I also have a 7mm mauser. I don't know if that is similar to a magnum, but I do know it'll knock me on my butt. It's a real old gun. It has the adjustible pop-up iron sights or as I call them "the Quigly Down Under Sights."

However, I have popped a couple of deer with my grandfather's 30-06. I love that gun. If I could I would buy it in a heart beat, and use it.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

hey david, yea the green gang thing came from an old movie, i think danny devito was in it. anyway for tle last 2 years i have carried my (i mean my wifes) model 7 in a 260 rem. its a great treestand gun and easy toten..
good luck this year.......
Old 09-23-2004, 07:19 PM

m.t hands,

I haven't heard of the 260, but if its a rem. model 7 it can't be all that bad.

David
Old 09-23-2004, 09:03 PM

I shoot a .270. I love it. I agree, i dont need anything bigger. Im a little worried about taking it out to Colorado elk hunting this year. But i am very good with it. I can drive tacks with it. But I think i am worried for no reason. I like it a lot better then a 30/06 because it is flatter shooting and better for longer ranges. For whitetails 30/06 is plenty big. I can see maybe a .300 in colorado elk hunting or something. But definatly not for deer.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:39 AM

I think of my self as a bowhunter first...
But I can shoot my rifles very well, and I would love to roll a deer out at 500 yards, but for now I will use my hunting skills and my 30-30 Winchester.
I have nothing against magnums, in fact I own a .300 WMR and a 7MM Mag. , but I prefer to try myself against the animal, and get within 100 yards before taking my shot.

In my opinion (Something you may care little about) the 30-30 and the 7-08 are the best deer rifles ever made...

My Two Cents
Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

7mm-08 probably the best deer caliber. ( I still hunt with the 30.06)

Quick Reply: deer rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.