Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do lures really work?

Old 09-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default do lures really work?

I am starting to wonder if lures really work. I never had much postive results. I am starting to wonder if they are a waste of money. I already have a few lures this year I have bought but maybe this will be the last. I have used doe poe, tinks #69 just to name a few. I am starting to wonder if I should just forget about lures.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: do lures really work?

When combined with calling lures can be very effective for attracting deer , but they don't necessarily work within 5 minutes after you put them out . Also , you have to put them where there are deer to smell/hear them , and do so at the right time . I've had the best luck with food scented lures for attracting does . Bucks seem to respond best to the smell of either a hot doe or an intruding buck .
Old 09-17-2004, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with you deerhunter1224 on this one. I think scent lures are a waste of money. I'll admit that I've used most of the top brands when I was new to deer hunting but have since learned that a well placed stand and a grunt tube will get the job done. No scent at all makes the most sense to me.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

During the rut I allways use a doe in heat lure. Last year I had bucks 2 times follow the trail I left with a drag to the base of my tree. Does even sniff the trail but don't follow . Out of the rut I have never had luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

They work great. They were designed to extract money out of hunters for a usless product. Snake oil, smoke and mirrors. Keep your own sent down and watch the wind, and you will do just as well if not better than some one using scents.IMHO
Old 09-18-2004, 10:20 PM

i think many are not worth a hoot. some work great.i have had bucks come to doe in heat scent and bend down to smell it and then stand with a lip curls.i have used many things that the deer never gave a second look.i am now just using one and it has been great so far
Old 09-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

I believe they work it just depends on why and where you use them i use interdigital when i get into the woods and dirt scent for a cover. its the only one i ever get a response from. Of course if a deer dont cross the ground i walked it wouldnt work to well so you must cross where you know they probably will at that time of day, and they pick it up from there and come on in.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:04 AM

RE: do lures really work? (in reply to Big Guy01)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dep214 wrote: [i think many are not worth a hoot. some work great.i have had bucks come to doe in heat scent and bend down to smell it and then stand with a lip curls.i have used many things that the deer never gave a second look.i am now just using one and it has been great so far ]

What lure would that be???

I am trying BuckFever this year...
Old 09-21-2004, 08:35 AM

I used some last year and I did see a smaller buck. He seemed to be approaching me from downwind, so I believe the scent worked. Of course I never would have gotten a shot because he caught my movement before I could get ready.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:53 PM
Spike

What kind of question is this? OF COURSE LURES WORK. Why would people buy them if they didnt? Every year in archery I use Tinks 69 doe-estrus urine and always get to see more then 7 different buck during the last 2 weeks of archery. And the ones that showed up keep showing up on and off. And guess what they all are coming for that urine. I had a really nice 8 point come in last year and put his nose to the scent bomb.

Quick Reply: do lures really work?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.