Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge? >

If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge?

Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge?

I hunt in New England (NH and Maine) where the population is relatively low. Our success rate does not compare with those of other states/provinces with high deer numbers. It's is always a real challenge here to be successful on a consistent basis. To those folks who can and do shoot many deer a year, is the challenge still there? How can you continue the challenge when you can see/shoot deer every time out?
Old 09-14-2004, 11:36 AM

Default RE: If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge?

I hunt in Texas with my 2 young sons. Last season I took 3 and each boy took 2. I was with them for every step of the way and my heart pounds just as fast for each and every one. Oh, and we did not, or do not get to shoot every time out, darn. We do have many hunts where we don't see anything or don't get a shot. I would guess that our hunts last season had approximately a 20/30% success ratio. The county I hunt in is considered a high density county at around 45 per sq. mi.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy,

I think I can relate to your question and I can at least provide you with a response from my experience. I grew up in Rutland County, VT and spent almost every day in the woods as a kid. I hunted very hard, yet only managed to kill 2 bucks in VT out of 5 years hunting by myself and with my dad when I was real young, and a few does during bow season. This was a very good success rate as compared to most people I knew in the area.

At 15 years old, I moved to Bradford County, PA and I have hunted there as well as Huntington County, PA every year since then. The first few years, I shot a buck every year on the first or second day of the season. Once I was 18, I got to be more selective though. My best friend owned about 120 acres of property, and we then began to grow food plots, and practice quality deer management. To shoot a deer, it had to have at least 8 points on it or it had to be a VERY large deer wider than it's ears if there were not 8 points on it. We saw more deer, and every one killed a nice buck but on average only every 2 years or so.

Now I have moved back to New England, and I don't know what I will be doing this year. I will be hunting Rutland County again, but am unsure as to how selective I will be. I have not shot a deer with less than 6 points for quite some time, but I know deer like that are few and far inbetween around Rutland.

With that said, when I was in PA and saw tons of deer (sometimes more than 50 deer on opening day alone) my heart pounded every time just like the first. When I began to see that it wasn't much of a challenge, I upped my standards. I still enjoy watching smaller bucks, and they still make my heart pound to see a spike under my tree, but I like waiting for a bigger buck, plus it gives me more time to be outside and in the woods, which is the part I really like the most anyhow.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

While I am not able to shoot a deer everyt time out(thankfully) I do get several deer a year, for a good number of years now. The excitement is still there, but you just set your sights higher. Whether its holding out for a bigger buck than you've ever got, or trying to take more does in one season than you ever have. Then there is the change up regarding the means you use to take the deer. I have always tried to fill all my tags using a bow first. Then whatever was left for gun season is what I dealt with. A modern scoped rifle holds little challenge for me, so I dropped down to a pistol caliber cowboy rifle. Now I am going to attempt to take a deer with my revolver this season. There are always things one can do to keep it interesting.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:55 AM

How far up the border are you Jimmy? I also hunt Me and NH so I know what you mean about low deer numbers. I've been luck to have a couple of good set ups that I see deer most every time out. (today it was turkeys) My standards have changes a lot over the past 16 years (26 now but started at 10) I've always been happy with a deer I shoot but in the past couple of years I've been doing my part in QDM. I hunt mostly bow so I can leagally shoot quite a few deer. I harvest does for meat and don't shoot every buck that happens by. Saturday (Maine extended archery opener) I saw 3 bucks and passed a shoting opportunity on the two that passed @ 30yds. They both looked to be last years fawns 1.5 year old 6 pointers. A couple of years ago that would have ended my season but now I enjoy the memory of those little guys and look forward to spending some more afternoons in the woods. IMO killing a deer is a must for me to have a good hunt.

I by no means see (or shoot) nearly as many deer as a lot of folk on the board. I've scouted hard to get decent setups so I see deer on a consistant basic. By being selective in what I shoot I can always have a challenge. I have good hunts when I see deer I don't want to shoot and good hunts when I only see the anoying little red squirrel. I just enjoy the woods and "company" I have when I'm in the woods.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

adams...I hunt just south /east of the Concord NH area. Zones J2/L/M. In Maine I hunted for years near Old Town/Bradford areas and now spend most of my time near Lincoln, around Lowell and Burlington. I'll hunt Opening Week in Maine and then head back to NH and hunt Opening Day (Wed) thru Sunday. Can't wait!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 01:33 PM

I'm just south of you jimmy. I hunt in Strafford Co in NH as well as Coos co. I also hunt Maine primarily in the extended archery zones in southern York Co. I have a hunting camp off the stud mill rd in Old Town. I think the most populated deer area I hut in the souther York co in Maine. I see more deer there then anywhere else. Other parts of the state have very sparse deer populations but when you catch up with one it likely is a bruiser.

Good luck out there! I hope to see pics soon
Old 09-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

It does not loose its meaning for me. Hunting to me is much more the getting together at hunting camp and seeing old friends again. I like the camp cooking and the memories of hunts gone by and the hope of hunts to come. The talk about guns and knives and all those hunting related things. Our deer hunt is a vacation for my wife and I and one of the things that keeps me looking ahead. And its about the meat big time.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

James (great name) ...I understand everything you stated and I agree 100%, but is the challenge of the hunt always there?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:59 PM

I must not be as fortunate as others here! We see our share of deer but it has yet to become "guaranteed"! I think I'd quit hunting them if it did.

Anyway, to keep things interesting, I'm always changing my tactics and methods. I switched to a bow. I started trying more spot and stalking, you get the idea.

Heck, there are lots of ways to make it difficult. Try hunting them with a spear!

Quick Reply: If it's easy to shoot a deer, does it lose it's challenge?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.