Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scouting using topo maps

Old 09-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Scouting using topo maps

I am in search of different areas. What do you look for in topo maps when pre scouting?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:55 AM

Default RE: Scouting using topo maps

Hey SwampBuck! Long time no see......

When I'm looking for new places on a topo or aerial map, I focus my search on the waterways first. Big roadless stretches near waterways stick out to me as a place to look over. Then I try to pick out an area with a large low-lying cedar/spruce swamp. These are likely places for deer to yard in the winter. I also take into account potential shallow river/stream crossing areas, and likely bedding areas. Older cuts with immature regrowth are key areas to look for too, as well as edges of different cover types. To narrow it down even more, I look for natural funnels formed by ridges, saddles, and gullys. Then the footwork begins
Old 09-13-2004, 08:57 AM

The first thing I look for anything that resembles a natural funnel. This can include differences in elevation, water, forrests, etc. When you find where more than one come together and you'll more often than not find deer!
Old 09-13-2004, 02:50 PM

I find a topo in conjunction with an aerial photo to be much easier then just a topo. If I had just a topo I look for ridges, saddles, water, water crossings at the base of ridges. Add a aerial photo to that and look for these types of features combined with trasition zones (hard woods to coniferous forrest, old cuttings)

Leg work is most important. Once you've found the likely hot spots you've got to get out and investigate them. The maps and photos will just lead you in the right direction.

Good luck
Old 09-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Here's a link that'll get you started.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...pos/index.html