Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Hoghunters or those who have knowledge? >

Hoghunters or those who have knowledge?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hoghunters or those who have knowledge?

Old 09-12-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Hoghunters or those who have knowledge?

I am not personally a hog hunter (unless it simply pertains to keeping down the population); however, I am a VERY serious deer hunter. I have never had property owned or leased that had hogs on it. The lease I have this year is believed to have hogs and I am wondering just how much I should expect this to affect my deer hunting.

I would apprecitate any input from those of you who have life experiences in this area or who have knowledge of the subject. As I write this article, I am watching a hunting show where a deer is simply standing staring at a large group of hogs who are feeding at the feeder. So, maybe hogs won't affect my hunting too much or will it?
Old 09-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-13-2004, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Hoghunters or those who have knowledge?

JMO. . .but Pigs can be bad for your Deer hunting areas. Deer will try to work around them but they need your help. Shoot all the pigs you can. Trap thew if you can. They tear up the land and can bread very quickly. The rule we have is that you must shoot a pig whenever you see one. I have taken 11 since the end of the last Deer season and I am not sure I am keeping up.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Honestly in my experience it just depends. I have a few areas that are fenced strictly for hunting hogs, and I still see quite a few deer in those areas. Also when hogs migrate in and out of our river bottom, when they are really thick you can see a little difference in deer population. From my experience I have noticed little difference and I guide and hunt hogs more than most people.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 AM

While theTexasAggiebowhunter may have great knowledge he is after all just an Aggie.

Go. . . . .UT. . . .
Old 09-13-2004, 08:22 AM

Your deer hunting won't be affected unless your place is overrun with them.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:23 AM

Oh yeah! Hookem Horns
Old 09-13-2004, 02:05 PM

Man Im just like you, I'm a serious deer hunter and get very worried when anything affects the hunting. My land has never had hogs until about a month ago. I got a pic of about 15 of em on my trailcam. I have honestly noticed a difference since they've arrived. The deer a more skittish and I dont even see as many. I sit in my stands about a month in advance just to watch the deer and have seen the movement dropoff with the arrival of my oinking friends. I've shot two of them with my bow, but that obviously disturbs the deer as well. All I can say is, if the hogs have always been there, the deer don't mind as much. If they are just arriving, it freaks the deer out for a while. Not to mention they eat every morsel of food that a deer could be eating. Trap em, shoot em, do something. They are nothing but trouble for a serious deer hunter.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:59 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I do have limited knowledge and have scouted VERY thourough (mainly for deer), but I have not seen ANY true hog sign. I have two small ponds on this place that would be perfect for Hogs, but not so much as a track.

The man I lease from said that last season they saw a 400 lb hog on this place I'm leasing this year. He also went on to say that the hogs were getting bad in that general area. I'm truly no Hog fan and I'm all about cutting down the population. I have heard that they can breed something like 3 times a year with litters of 12 or more. I may be way off, but basically they breed like rabbits.

Anyway, I had an AWESOME year last year leasing different property from this man. In fact, my son shot his first deer last year (that's another story). I'm really excited about this year and this lease looks unbelievable.

Oh yea, Hook'em Horns! They downed a few hogs this weekend also!!