Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick? >

Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick?

Old 09-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick?

I am looking for reviews on it. I hack with the best of them in the morning, and want to be more silent in the woods.
Old 09-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick?

As a former 2 1/2 pack a day smoker I can vouch for it ,
it does work .

It won't make you "sonically invisible" , but it does reduce the hacking noise a lot . A lot also depends on the original volume of the cough and how you pack in the cotton balls . Too few and it doesn't help , too many and it won't work . You have to change them frequently , so finding the right number of cotton balls , and placement inside , takes a little experimenting .

When it's working well I think it confuses the deer more than anything else , it makes you sound further away . I've still seen them become alert , but they relax far more quickly since they think you aren't close .

I don't hunt without mine .
Old 09-13-2004, 08:41 AM

It's kind of like the old saying that lures are designed to catch more fishermen than fish!

I personally think hunting is following the same trend. Save your cash and buy a handkerchief!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 AM

Someone gave me one for Christmas last year. I found it bulky and useless so I gave it to my 2 yr old son to play with. Save your money - it'll just be one more thing cluttering up your gear bag.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:19 PM

I also think it's gimick. Yes it'll muffel your cough but you've got to carry it around and have it ready at the right moment for it to be effective. You'll hate me for this but if you're a smoker, quit. I know it's hard but it can be done. I've been smoke free since 6/18/2000. I still have days that I think about a butt but I feel much better and those that love you will appreciate it. But most of all do it for yourself!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have alerges and will not hunt without mine , I may start coughing at any time from post nasel drip . Just count the cotten balls you take out .
Old 09-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ummmmmmmmm can u say cough drop??? Whatever happend to coughing in your arm to muffle the sound??
Old 09-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like the people here that posted that they have used it, like it.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:58 PM

I have a buddy who swears by his. If I carried any more gear into the woods I'd need a backpack instead of a fanny pack! LOL

Pass!
Old 09-14-2004, 04:42 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: TURKEY FAN

ummmmmmmmm can u say cough drop??? Whatever happend to coughing in your arm to muffle the sound??
Coughing into my elbow got too difficult with advancing age and never really worked , most cough drops are little more than candy and they stink .

I bark like a seal when I cough , so the Cough Silencer has been a good thing for me . My only real complaint about it is the small mouthpiece .

Quick Reply: Cough Muffler:Does it work or just a gimmick?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.