Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips or Tricks For Skinning ?

Old 09-11-2004, 11:33 AM

Default Tips or Tricks For Skinning ?

Looking for any help that would make the job easier before sending the deer to the butcher ?

Thank you in advance for any knowledge you share>
Old 09-11-2004, 01:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tips or Tricks For Skinning ?

i do the skinning and butchering by my self started when i was 12 helping out my grandpa now im 16 and like a pro . This is my advice get the deer all guted out an stuff then hang it by the back legs . Take your knife and cut rite around the knee part of the back legs an just keep skinning it down pull a little bit an cut pull an cut pull an cut
Old 09-12-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skin em while they're still "warm". Don't let em stiffen up or it's alot more difficult to do.

Ever try the "truck method" (with a rock)?

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 09-12-2004, 03:29 PM

Thank you Uncle Matt, i did post this in Bowhuntung also and was made aware of this method. All sound like they will work out just fine. This is going to be my first time having to skin, so i see the shortcut method seems fast, but may tear the skin. I'll also use a tree instead of my garage
Old 09-12-2004, 08:09 PM

I've heard of it(never tried it myself), and now I saw a kit somewhere that (I don't know how) will skin your deer using air. This is the ultimate in easy. Not to pick on you, but I read this post on the other forum, and brother you sound lazy. Sorry, nothing personal, but skinning, unless you're doing a cape, just ain't that hard to learn.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

i built a rack for this, but i use a boat wench and a golf ball works like a charm with little to no hide damage
Old 09-13-2004, 06:33 AM

No offense takin EOTN, this will be my first time having to skin a deer and i really wish not to mess it up.I am glad all say it is easy to skin and hopefully the process goes smoothly, although i am a little , O.K. alot nervous about this.[8D] I know = Damn Rookies!, but i am learning.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's all remember we're dealing with a "rookie" here, a "greenhorn", a youngster who is getting his feet wet. So there's no need to beat him up.

Katbones, don't be intimidated, skinning isn't a hard thing to do. Hopefully before this season is done and over with you will have several opportunities to watch other more experienced hunters skin & quarter and hopefully you'll get several opportunities yourself. And that my friends is what our great hunting tradition is all about! Sharing, opportunitiy and experience. It is about the time with OUR (I say OUR here, because they are ALL ours) youngsters, them learning thru the opportunities which we as "veteran" hunters have the duty of providing and sharing the whole experience with them - is our finest reward!

I find it to be the most rewarding feeling to put the young guys in our groups at the front of the class. Giving them the sites which offer the greatest chance at a successful harvest. Making them feel like a center of attention at camp. Asking their opinions on things and making them feel like one of the guys (yes they are first in line for pranks, too-obviously first in line). There is no greater feeling than to see a kid with his first deer.

My best hunt ever? With my nephew Eric. 4 years ago. Johnson county IL. Shotgun season opener. My Dad (his Grampa) had passed that summer and Eric was hunting with Grampa's trusty old JC Higgins 12 ga pump. I was posted several hundred yards down the field when they came in on him. 3 of them, all nice does. I watched thru my glasses as he finally let go with all three rounds and took down two deer. Actually watched it happen. I was a part of it. I could feel the three kicks on my shoulder, smell the powder. I cannot explain the feeling! But I know one thing. If it wasn't a youngster, if it was one of the guys, I know the feeling would not quite be the same.

That was truly my best hunt to this day. The hunt I'll live over and over in my mind. The hunt I'll think about as I move silently thru the woods, as I get hunkered down on stand, year after year and hunt after hunt. The look on his face. The look in his eyes! The way his chest was heaving, firmly pulling in the wood's clean air in and blowing it out so hard. (And he wasn't even dragging yet! LOL!) We prayed together for these wonderful creatures we had been blessed with, and the experience we were indeed sharing with Grampa. Watching him carefully guide my father's old Case hunting knife as he listened to my instruction and dressed out those two animals, the first blood from each worn on a cheek in celebration. He was now a warrior, a hunter indeed, he was now a bit closer to being a "man". Now it would be him who would be putting the meat on the table. The whole thing was wonderful! Awesome!

I took one very important thing from that hunt. I knew RIGHT THEN and RIGHT THERE, that I wanted to experience that feeling over and over again, as many times as possible, for the rest of my life! I was instantly a member of DHA (Deer Hunters Anonamous). "Hi, my name is Uncle Matt and I am addicted to youth deer hunting......." LOL

I knew that in the future I wanted to see (help) the younger guys taking an animal much more so than myself.

Take these words to heart guys you will not be disappointed. You see Uncle Matt is a very bad, bad man. Cause I'm out to make you all addicts, too!

Katbones, just wait til this season is over. Then you have to suffer like the rest of the guys.......... AND ENDURE THE LONG WAIT TIL NEXT SEASON!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 09-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

What we do is we cut just above the ears on the head and skin the hide down a bit. then we ring both front lets around the "elbow" and slice up to the brisket on both sides. Skin the hid off the shoulders. Tie a rope around the deers ears that are hanging there and tie the other end to a truck, 4 wheeler, jeep, what ever you have. Start pulling slow and the entire hide comes off in one piece. Don't forget to split the hide up the brisket all the way to the top of the neck and don't forget to skin the hide away from the shoulders.

Very easy way to skin a deer
Old 09-13-2004, 10:47 AM

A little trick we use for butchering beef and sometimes even big game is after u have cut around the animals rectum (fun fun) take a piece of twine or string and tie it around the animals poop chute. Then thread the string back through the pelvic area. Then when u are opening the gut cavity just pull on the string and the rectum will come through the pelvis area without you having to go fishing for it. Saves some time and unwanted handling. Rinse twice and repeat lol......

Quick Reply: Tips or Tricks For Skinning ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.