Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

4 wheelers and hunting

Old 09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default 4 wheelers and hunting

I am new to using 4 wheelers , and was just wondering if using them going in to the stand in the mornings spooked them? Do you take them all the way to the stand, or part way and then walk the rest of the way? Just wondering what some of you guys that have used them think. Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 10:32 PM

Default RE: 4 wheelers and hunting

I ride mine all the way past the stand and then walk back but I am not going anywhere that I can bump deer on the way in. I also go in earlier so when its shooting time it has been over an hour since the noise of my 4 wheeler has been heard and things have settled down. If you think you would bump any deer on the way in then park it and walk the rest of the way.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Typical Buck

I walk in and if I take a deer, I go back to the truck and get the atv to drag it out. ATV's can be very useful, but there are way too many idiots riding them through the woods at peak hunting times, shooting from them, which is illegal just about everywhere, and ruining everyone elses' chances. If everyone would respect other hunters while using them, I have no problem with atv's, but you've always got those idiots that don't know what the word "respect" is!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 07:29 AM

Around here people use them to chase and shoot from them.Eventually they will get caught.If using them to go to the stand it is ok or fragging the deer out
Old 09-10-2004, 08:13 AM

I do use an ATV on occassion although I prefer to walk in. I've got a couple of stands that are quite a distance from camp. If I ride in, I tend to stop well before my stand and walk in from there. Usually about a qtr mile.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:53 AM

Here we are not alowwed to us atv's before noon while hunting. So its usually drive part way with the truck and walk in, or walk right from home. In the evenings i always leave the quad a good 1/4 mile away from the stand or my blind and run it back into the bush someplace hidden.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:05 PM

I get as close as possible. All the four wheeler trails here are on the top of the hills and I usually have my stand on the side of the hills so I have to walk a little ways, not much though. The deer here are used to them, they walk on the side of the hills and usually can't be seen from the four wheel trails.
If I were you I would get to the stand at least 30 minutes early and drive as close as possible and you should be fine.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:21 PM

No disrespect to those who use them wisely and sensibly but I don't use one. Walking to me is part of the hunt and the outdoor experience. It's also good excercise and keeps me warm on frosty mornings. Walking quietly and softly will also offer the chance to come upon a deer - not going to happen on an ATV. gg.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

deer know what a truck door closing is, they know what 4-wheelers are, i leave mine a good distance from the stand, i use mine more for a tool, draggin out deer, working or whatever, but some people just get on them and ride, right by my stand at 8:30 a.m.[:@], seperates the hunters from the killers, if you know what i mean. the killer wants to go get the easy animal, the hunter will spend all day on the stand for the animal he's looking for. my better deer taken have been miday 9-2:30 and later in the season. anyway back to the main question used properly they can be another useful tool, used improperly, those people need to stay at home.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:07 PM

unless your stand is over 1 mile from where you park your truck, why not leave it in the truck until you actually need it to haul something out of the woods; i think half the hunters in illinois drag their atv's (behind their trucks) all over hell just to drive them less than 1/4 mile to get to their stands makes no sense to me.

and no matter what anyone says the noise and smell of your atv is going to have some sort of impact on your hunt.

Quick Reply: 4 wheelers and hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.