Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone do this for their morning hunts? >

Anyone do this for their morning hunts?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone do this for their morning hunts?

Old 09-09-2004, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone do this for their morning hunts?

I usually get to mine just before light because I cant sit in the dark for to long or ill get bored and start moving around but I usually figure if I jump a deer hes not sure what I was and theres a good chance it`ll come back after im settled and if not no biggie.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate it when I'm late to the stand in the AM - but all is not lost if you are.

Deer are most vulnerable to predation in that hazy 30 minutes of dawn. This is because they are adjusting to the change in light. If you are slow, and deliberate - sometimes you can walk right up on a deer. But more so - you can get to your stand somewhat un-detected. At no ather time is your eyesight as close to equal to a whitetail deer's. If you see them first - you can avoid them, or even hunt them en route to your stand.

So often you hear about a novice hunter - running late that walks up on a bruiser - and pops him at daylight. I really think this is why.
Old 09-10-2004, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have twp friends who absolutely wait until it is light enough to see before entering the woods. They feel it increases their chances because they will hopefully see deer and not spook them. I guess most folks try to be on stand well before legal shooting hours but I personally feel, staying focused, and alert for as long as possible is the key. BTW, they have been successful in shooting deer just after first light and this is in areas with low deer numbers(less than 10 deer per square mile)...so I guess there must be something to it...
Old 09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-10-2004, 11:01 AM

I Walk right into my stand in the dark. The way I see it, If I jump them and they can't see me they'll likely not know what I am. As long as you practice scent control and you don't reak like a human they won't be able put a finger on what you are and they may come back(deer being curious) to try and figure out what I am. I'd rather spook a deer in the dark and be in my stand ready when first light comes then spook them durring shooting hours. Just my $0.02
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'd rather spook a deer in the dark and be in my stand ready when first light comes then spook them durring shooting hours.
Exactly, Adams, that's the best way to put it. Heck this is hunting and there will be times when they spook so try do whatever it takes to spook less deer is key.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:43 AM

I always arrive plenty early and NEVER NEVER walk fast or use a white light. I use a very small red LED. And yep I get snorted at once in a while, but I am early enough where things calm down by the time I can see. It's those noises that don't get followed with a snort that give me the willies, we had a mountain lion on my Ranch last season, so I started carrying a side arm, not that it would help when he latched on the back of my neck.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Spike

I frequently hunt up in northern Wisconsin -- bear country. I've found that if I use a red filtered light, and walk slowly and silently, I very rarely spook a deer. I keep the rifle loaded, though, just in case I run across something that's not as skeered as he should be...

Specialized
Old 09-15-2004, 07:30 AM

Preserving your night vision is the key to getting in easily in the dark. When you arrive at your hunting spot make sure your dome light in the car doesn't come on, this will keep your eyes adjusted to the dark better. I use a green light sparingly. Often times deer will only move a side in the dark a few feet and let you walk right by. They usally don't spook., I also make a good effort prior to the season to really clean the trail I'll be using to my stand, I trim any branches that could poke me in the face and clean all dead wood off the ground, a little effort really makes getting into the stand quitely.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:36 AM

I GO IN THE WOODS ABOUT 1 1/2 HOUR BEFORE LIGHT , I LIKE TO BE IN WHEN ITS DARK STILL ,ILL USUALLY CUP MY LIGHT IN MY HAND IN THE DARK SO I DONT TRIP SOMTIMES BRANCHES FALL AT NIGHT HATE TO TRIP AND MAKE NOISE!!!BUT NOTHING BETTER THEN GETTING IN WHEN ITS STILL DARK,WHEN THE SUN COMES UP EVERYTHING COMES TO LIFE

Quick Reply: Anyone do this for their morning hunts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.