Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Walmart Outdoors

Old 09-02-2004, 10:41 PM

Default RE: Walmart Outdoors

ORIGINAL: OHBowhunter

RELAX guys. I'ts not like shooting fish in a barrel. With proper management you can just imagine the kind of place you could build to hunt.
farming game to shoot. To some a wonderfull thing. To me, not something I can relate to....
Old 09-02-2004, 10:45 PM

Chickory:

How do you know those animals are "tame", and what is your definiton of "farming game"?

Just because the deer had tags in there ear doesnt mean much. Just look at bighorn rams and desert sheep in the west, alot of those animals have tags and radio collars around there necks, does that mean there "tame" and/or farmed??
Old 09-03-2004, 01:48 AM

You have a hunting show, companies paying you some "alright" money to hunt and show thier products on television. You have to commit anywhere from 24 to 32 shows per season - so at least that many harvests.....feeling the pressure yet?

Where are you going to hunt to get this footage, and quickly?

Thats right...try not to get the ear tags!
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM

Don't know if this has any relevance to the subject but last year while out scouting me and my hunting partner both saw a doe with a bright orange collar on it and said "what he @#$%" WE called the KDFW and asked if they knew anything about it and they had no idea either. We figured maybe it was someones pet and had gotten away?
Old 09-03-2004, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I watch the Outdoor Chanel all the time and from what I have seen the shows on this chanel are all great.

The only time I have been offended is on one show I was watching a guy was bear hunting with a bow. He shot at 2 different bears and missed, then finally hit the 3rd bear just forward of the rear leg. I was like man if you can't shoot any better than that you should not be hunting with a bow! The bear died but talk about a terrible shot. If he would have hit a deer there he probably would have never found it.

To your main point tho, tags in the ear does not mean the animal is not wild. I wish we could tag our deer. That way you can see without a doubt what effect our management practices have on our herd. I'm all for it. Just have the taxidermist remove the tag before it goes on my wall

Some people have this ilusion that things like high fences and tags in the ear takes away from the sport of hunting. The bottom line is that you are hunting a wild animal, one way or another. As long as the animal is wild, it's hunting. This is completely different than "canned hunts". There isn't a guy somewhere releasing an animal 10 minutes before another person shoots it.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:41 PM
Fork Horn

I'm I getting this straight all of a sudden there's no such thing as unfair high fenced ranch hunts on tv.Also do they really have to harvest game every show?I think that the producers of SOME OF THESE shows could get a little more creative.There are some good shows out there eg primos and the like but IMO most of them may as well just spotlight and road hunt.There hunting is about as challenging as that.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:11 AM

IMO if the animal is truly wild and not chained down so you can shoot it then it really doesnt really matter where the animal is. I personally wont hunt at a game farm nor would I fish at a fish farm. To me its like buying your kill, but to each his own. I like Wal-Mart I buy all my rifles and ammo there at a good price to boot. I have seen so many hunting shows that I am burnt out dont watch em anymore. Just my 2cents worth.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Guys, I am employeed by a show on OLN. I can tell you by first hand accounts that our show is truly a fair hunt/fair chase show. There is no penned animals or fenced in areas. I have hunted and filmed with a bunch of the so-called celebs in the hunting industry and have found that all of them are stand up guys. I have learned to be a better hunter by being around them and their ethics. I have been with one popular host when he passed up a shot on a 180 class whitetail in Canada. Yeah, I said 180. It was a long shot with a little wind and he passed. How many of us would of thrown lead? Some of these shows are garbage and you should write to OLN and the show about you problems, but the majority of these shows are good stuff. Check out the Outdoor Channel and the Mens Channel after 6pm. Better than watching the other garbage on the box.

Mike
Old 09-12-2004, 01:02 AM

That kind of thing isnt hunting and shouldnt even be on tv
Old 09-12-2004, 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Don't get me wrong, I'm no big Walmart fan, but Walmart never ran a small business out of business. Consumers choices and the inability of some small business to adapt had a hand in their demise. No one forces (thank God) shoppers to go to Walmart over another store and Nobody says small business can't adapt. It's called Capitalism! Sink or Swim.

Well Walmart has certainly contributed. Walmart has a policy of not paying their debts until the last second that they can pay them and sometimes after (time value of money etc). But many distributors stake their lively hood on Walmart picking up their product. However, once Walmart picks up their product they have had to go hugely in debt to afford the initital production costs. Several have gone out of business waiting on Walmart to pay them cause after all what are they going to do, quit selling to WalMart?

I hope you don't think Walmart is the only company out there that does this. Work with ANY company...........even on levels no where near Walmart and you will see this. Paying your bills at the last second keeps your money in your pocket as long as possible.

The key difference.........which you pointed out..........is that Walmart enjoys the luxury of knowing companies won't cut them off and even if they did there is 100 in line behind them begging for a chance to get abused.

My brother works for a Fortune 500 computer distribution company. They deal with smaller companies because Microsoft doesn't want to. His accounts are STAPLES, Office Max, Office Depot and he had BUY.com (don't know if they still exist). He has to deal with invoices for millions of dollars that these companies just flat out say they are only gonna pay a fraction of.............it comes down to a choice in the end. Take $700,000 and keep STAPLES 33 million a year or tell them to go fly a kite and lose 33 million over $300,000. Smaller companies they just tell to pay up or they are cut off............big companies with big accounts receivable get away with murder.........because they know they can.

Money talks........and Walmart has it all.

Quick Reply: Walmart Outdoors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.