Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting in west georgia

Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 AM

Default Hunting in west georgia

Hi all,
Im going to school out in carrollton county georgia and was wondering if there is any good public deer hunting around my area. I allready sighned up for the west point lake wma but i would like to hunt more then 3 days this season. I used to hunt on private land in coweta county but due to a divorce between the landowners there is now a buisness complex where the front food plot used to be. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick Radovich
Old 08-31-2004, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Hunting in west georgia

Nick,

I am in the process of researching Blanton Creek WMA. This WMA is located near lake Harding, just below West Point Lake. I have hunted on Public land once before, however, I don't remember there ever being such requirements like there is these days. There is a story about WMA hunting in the latest Georgia Outdoors News. You should check it out. It lists all the WMAs and identifies the best for venison, antlers, and etc. I have a private hunting place this season, the first in several years. I hope things workout so that I can keep this location, but things are iffy.

I hope this helps.

David
Old 09-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Spike

Rado,

I've got your answer. Here is a link to the West Point Corps of Engineers hunting project. It's only $10 for a permit, and provides access to thousands of acres of land. I killed 4 deer, 1 ten point off these lands last year. Note: You may want to look at getting a small john boat w/ a 5-10 horse motor (if possible) because much of the land is inaccessable by road. However, if you look at the map closely you will find many areas that are accessable by road. You can camp at many different areas. One that I would suggest is Brush Creek (5-10 minutes from Franklin), it provides good access to the WMA and the Corps lands. One other thing, due to the land being right on the water, the only weapons allowed are Bows, Muzzleloaders, and Shotguns (slug only). Check the map for more details.

Hunting Permit Info - http://westpt.sam.usace.army.mil/wes...mit%20info.htm
Map - http://westpt.sam.usace.army.mil/pic...Map%202001.htm
Old 09-01-2004, 04:54 PM

that sounds preety good, i have a bow but have yet to kill a deer with it. im also looking into getting a muzzleloader before this season. One questioin, is the 10 dollar permit good for the entire season or is it just during primitive weapons season? I have an inflatable fishing boat with a trolling motor that might work.
Thanks,
Nick
Old 09-02-2004, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nick hi i have been bowhunting around this area for more than 23ys. the awnser to your question about that west point army corps land is yes you can hunt it all yr. And when you get your permit to hunt they will also give you a map of the area all around the lake and also some of the land is around the franklin area! I have hunted it a few times my self and it does have some pretty good hunting around it But i think you can only hunt certain areas with a bow and some with a shotgun using slugs! i am not certain about muzzleloaders? But if would like to hunt with a bow there is the dixie creek W.M.A area that open only archery hunters only! it is just hwy-219 it also boarders west point lake! And there is also sheafield W.M.A that is also archey only and does have some pretty good hunting around it also. I hope this helps