Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tower Stand Pics or Plans

Old 08-30-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Tower Stand Pics or Plans

I'm planning on building a tower stand out of wood. I was seeing if anyone had some pictures or plans of ones they have had succes with. I'm looking at building one big enough for two people with a platform height of about 8-10'.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:51 PM

Default RE: Tower Stand Pics or Plans

AJ........What you are wanting to do is not very hard. Go get some 14' treated 4x4 posts and set them 3' in the ground and pour quickcrete around them. Let them sit for a couple of days, and make sure they are plumb and square. Add some cross bracing and your ready for step 3....

Next it's just like building a treehouse, just measure up and wrap the posts with 2x6's around the outside. Next cut 2x6's for your floor and lay across and nail to the 2x6's. You may want to add a couple of 2x6 joist in the middle every 2' if it a larger platform. Build a ladder off of one the post corners, and you have a platform. Next just build some frame wall with 2x4's and plywood. Even add a roof if you want.
Old 08-30-2004, 03:23 PM

Here is a tower stand, at my hunt club lease. Note wires that prevent highwind blowover.
Post can be put into ground, if long enough, but backed up with wires is still a safety precaution. Benchrest in front window area aids in longshots across foodplots.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:41 PM

It's amazing what someone can do so quick with a little direction....lol.......

Great pic, and almost exactly what I was describing......
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll post a piture of mine when it is complete.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:30 AM

Groundhunter gave a pretty good narrative. i would suggest you look at landscape timbers. they are treated but not as long. but they also cost a lot less than 4x4's.
for me if i go over 7 or 8 ' i use steel. now i weld as a hobby so i have a little advantage there. but cost wise the landscape timber is a pretty good deal.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stand I built out of PVC - Very expensive project
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Landscape timbers are treated, but not for use as post. They will rot in a few years. Don't forget about the usage of stainless nails or hot dipped galvanized in the treated wood.
It will be as cheap or cheaper to buy a well made metal tower stand that is lighter, easier to move, will last longer, and is better made/safer, but to each his own.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:48 PM

My brothers and I have made a couple nice tower stands by starting with old windmill towers.We cut of the tops off at the point where the tower was about 4 foot sqare,then welded up a frame for the enclosed part on top and covered it with plywood.Windows on each side,and a paint job,gave up a really nice unit.They are about 14 foot off the ground to the floor of the enclosed stand.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 AM

Timbercruiser if they are set in concrete i would say they would work fine. i tell you what i got some extras and i'll build a stand with them and let you know.

Metal is the best way i'll agree . and for me it's affordable cause i build my own but with the price of steel right now i can't build them and make any money and price them where people will buy them.
I haven't sold one this year.

Quick Reply: Tower Stand Pics or Plans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.