HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Need a little help please... I am a new hunter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/70777-need-little-help-please-i-am-new-hunter.html)

Air Force Ammo Troop 08-29-2004 08:37 PM

Need a little help please... I am a new hunter

Hello I am a little new to hunting and would like to ask a few simple questions. I haven't hunted in about 11 years and I can't remember many things my father taught me because I was reall young. I remember deer tracks, rubs, ruts and most of the simple things... but cannot remember some important things, I will list them and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Human scent removal... I only remember him saying that you want to be clean and not use smelly shampoo's and soap's.

2. Stand placement... I can scout pretty well but I have no idea how close to place a stand... I have found a trail that the deer use to get to their feeding plot. I would like to hunt there but I have no idea how close is too close for my stand... it is a ladder stand if that helps.

3. Smoking and such while hunting... I smoke like a freight train and I can probably go about 2 hours without one at the most. Should I not smoke while hunting ??

Thanks alot... and any other tips would be great... I am hunting at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.

RustyOlRanger4x4 08-29-2004 09:37 PM

RE: Need a little help please... I am a new hunter

ORIGINAL: Air Force Ammo Troop

Hello I am a little new to hunting and would like to ask a few simple questions. I haven't hunted in about 11 years and I can't remember many things my father taught me because I was reall young. I remember deer tracks, rubs, ruts and most of the simple things... but cannot remember some important things, I will list them and any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Human scent removal... I only remember him saying that you want to be clean and not use smelly shampoo's and soap's.

2. Stand placement... I can scout pretty well but I have no idea how close to place a stand... I have found a trail that the deer use to get to their feeding plot. I would like to hunt there but I have no idea how close is too close for my stand... it is a ladder stand if that helps.

3. Smoking and such while hunting... I smoke like a freight train and I can probably go about 2 hours without one at the most. Should I not smoke while hunting ??

Thanks alot... and any other tips would be great... I am hunting at Barksdale Air Force Base, Louisiana.
Welcome to the board its full of information and informative people.
#1. Scent removal go to a local hunting store or walmart theres a million things there to was I use a kit I bought at walmart its hunterspecialties I believe it is soap, shampoo, and detergent for you hunting clothes I think it was less then $20 but it works just fine but theres a ton of options and if you wanna drop some cash get a scent lok suit but there pretty expensive I just spray my regular old hunting clothes with Carbon blast which came from walmart to and it works just fine you just spray it on all your clothes.
#2 depends gun or bow? and how thick are the woods? Personally id say 20yds. if its clear enough which is close enough for a gun or bow. but its all just personal judgement some people just about sit on the trail some ill go back till they can barley see he trail anymore but personally I like to be about 20yds.
#3 Smoke smells and deer will smell it and im sure it`ll be in your clothes so when you get out of the truck spray your self with the carbon blast ot keep your clothes in a scent proof bag and dont put them on till you get to the woods because deer have an amazing sence of smell And just sit in your stand as long as you can with out smokeing I have friends who smoke while they sit and im sure it scares of some deer but they also manage to shoot deer to so id say just smoke as little as possible. And is dipping an option? it may be better then smokeing in the stand the regular stuff(non flavored) dosent put off much smell and you can spit in a sealed container so maby that can be an option for you?

timbercruiser 08-30-2004 07:26 AM

#1 Hunt the wind. I don't think there are any products that will make you "scent free".
#2 What are you setting your stand up on? You have to be able to see, and that will determine how far you are from the site.
#3 Quit smoking. You will live longer (based on multiple research studies), and you will have more money to apply toward hunting.

Air Force Ammo Troop 08-30-2004 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

#2 What are you setting your stand up on? You have to be able to see, and that will determine how far you are from the site.
I am hunting on a trail that the deer follow to get to there food plot... 90% of the trees are really tall pines and the rest is all small underbrush. I am hunting in a 15' ladder stand with a rifle.

#3 Quit smoking. You will live longer (based on multiple research studies), and you will have more money to apply toward hunting.
I wish I could... old habits die hard.

Thanks for the tips so far, I also did some research and one web site recommends that if hunting in pines you take freshly cut limbs and cones. Then you stuff them in a trash bag with your hunting clothes and tie up the bag and leave it for a few weeks. Seems like a great idea.

mikej92280 08-30-2004 05:32 PM

Being bow season is getting ready to come in I am assuming you are going to be bow hunting. There is really no good product that is going to keep you scent free. In hunting the wind will either be your best or worst frend. Having 2 stand locations isnt a bad idea because then you have the option of keeping a good wind.

Your gonna wanna be in a spot between 15 to 25 yards tops off thatg trail and make sure you have atleast 2 solid shooting lanes. A trail going to and coming from a food source this time of year is ideal.

As far as smoking in your stand. It depends on the wind. The wid at my back I try to limit myself to about 1 cigarette every 2 hours and dont throw the buts nor the ashes to the ground. When its in my face I'll smoke normally about 1 every 30 to 45 minutes or so and it doesnt seem to lessen my chances. I've had a doe in shooting range, rested a lit cigarette on my seat, stood up drew on the doe, made a perfect double lung shot, sat back down, finished my cigarette, and retrieved my deer maybe 40 yards away.No BS!! So bring your smokes with you and if the winds in your face smoke away.JMVHO

Hunting isn't just a hobby, its a way of life.

cnhntr 08-30-2004 05:53 PM

Welcome! have fun on the boards