Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Home security cameras for monitoring deer trails ? >

Home security cameras for monitoring deer trails ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Home security cameras for monitoring deer trails ?

Old 08-29-2004, 06:55 AM

Default Home security cameras for monitoring deer trails ?

Northertools.com has a handheld monitor with wireless cam ....range only 100 yds.,...I was wondering if any of you have tried this.......sounds cool for watching one trail while hunting another trail....has audio too....I think this has potential....?!?!
Old 08-29-2004, 09:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Home security cameras for monitoring deer trails ?

Probobly illegal, using an electronic device to aid in the taking of game. I know it would be illegal here in Illinois. Most states even watch out for relaying info with radios like, "Hey Billy Bob! I, just saw that big old buck we've been after, he came accross the meadow and hit that old creekbed that runs behind your stand, he's heading your way from the south, be ready!" Most game wardens have the two way family (FMS) radios, the good ones like mine that scan all the frequencies on there.

But there is some potential here if you can set it up with a recorder of some sort, using an invertered power supply. Then you'd have a video game cam. Course you'd be open to rain damaging the vcr and such but those are just obstacles to be overcome. Every great idea starts out with obstacles.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 08-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Unless it's withing reasonable range of an outlet I'd think power would be an issue . Some of the wireless ones I've seen would broadcast the images as far as 700' , but they were pricey . It wouldn't be illegal here , but I don't think I could feel right using it . It would take some of the guesswork out of it .
Old 08-29-2004, 10:17 AM

They are legal here too.....the color LCD monitor does have a vcr port....I would use this in my backyard woods of which I only bowhunt in.....so it will only help me watch a trail from home or in the woods with the limited range...whole set is only $ 200.....this is new woods for me to hunt and so little time left to scout....(i have 1 game camera too)......just thought it would be awesome during the rut.....and give me quick info. to move my blind to another trail later on.......don't think it would help much for shooting a deer since he would have to come by in my 30 yd. range......it also has a sleep mode to save on batterys.....in Ohio we cannot use a voice transmitter to aid in deer harvest.Man I just see a very helpful quick info type tool here with new woods and limited time left to scout....I go out once a week and still can't see it all.....with game cams and foot work and studying sign......deer are just scatter on trails with no crops, water etc. to pattern them.....did find some beds...with too many trails to count.....hope the acorns fall so I might pattern them...........game camera only gets a hit once a week.....on every move.