Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What deer hunting experience made you maddest? >

What deer hunting experience made you maddest?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What deer hunting experience made you maddest?

Old 03-01-2002, 04:15 PM

Default RE: What deer hunting experience made you maddest?

Probably the biggest thing is having 4 wheelers run all over your place, and then when confronted, want to argue with you about YOUR OWN property line!! Those things need to stay out of the timber UNLESS absolutely needed! There is NO reason for someone just to go running the hell out of everything in the woods "just to get something moving"!!! Besides, doing that in this state is illegal anyway!!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

One weekend this year was AWFUL!!!! Saturday, I went out, took my girlfriend's little bro with me. We get out there at about 5:30, and just as it's about to be light enough to shoot, we hear a buck rattling his way towards us in the trees. He's taking his marry time, but we here a truck driving about a quarter mile off, then a door close, I see a couple points of his rack, and signal the kid to get ready, a head pops into view, then about 15-20 shots ring out from where my truck was parked, the deer took off, never to be seen again. We decided to abandon that stand for the morning, found a bunch of bullet holes and truck tracks right behind my truck!!!!!!! What a peckerhead whoever that was!!!
Sunday, we go back to that stand, hoping against a repeat, we get out there at about 5, almost to the tree line holding our stand, we here this damned cougar calling at us, telling us to get out of his place. We, of course, obeyed, never saw another deer the rest of the day!!!!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:35 PM

I have had stupid things happen to me a few times that really made me mad that I haven't told too many people.
(1) I had the rope tied to my bow slip off when I first started bow hunting years ago just as I was reaching for the bow 25 feet up a tree. Needless to say I had to climb all the way back down to the ground in 85 degree temps to retie the knot and climb back up in my climber. This was the old type kind of stand where you had to hug the tree to go up it. I was worn out and sweating like a hog when I finally sat back down.
(2) I have never told this one before. Last year my nephew's first deer season, I was so intensely showing all my attention to the preparation of the deer hunt to my nephew's needs before daylight that I left the truck without my gun. I know this sounds impossible but believe me it isn't. I've been deer hunting 31 years and that was the first time I had ever done that. I was makeing sure that he had his gun unloaded, tree stand on his back, and all the proper clothes that I just got in a hurry, threw my stand on my back, grabbed my light and took off. I got to my tree and said to myself you dumba$$ you left your gun leaning against the truck back at the main road. I flew back to the truck in fear that someone had stolen my rifle while I was gone. I grabbed my gun and hot footed back to my stand mad as a hornet. My nephews stand was on further around the bottom of the field and I never told him what happened and he never noticed while we were walking in that I was not carrying my gun.
(3) This past season I had the same two dogs come under me while deer hunting on our leased land. The first time I didn't make a sound. The second day the dogs came in from behind me and I hissed at them to keep them from going on into the area I was watching. One of them growled up at me and they went back the way they had came from. About 30 minutes later I saw them 150 yards out in front of me. You don't know how badly I wanted to shoot them.
Old 03-02-2002, 09:27 PM

Greets,
Gee do I get 2??
Forgot about the time last year I was elk hunting... ( my first year at elk ) Last day of the season, my buddy and I go dry that morning, so we scout a bit and find fresh tracks we think are from the night before. They follow a road that is barely passable by 4wd. So that eve, we set up in different spots along the road, hoping against hope to see him ( hoping it IS a him :-) ) Abouty 45 min before end of the day, I hear a car moving along, cant miss it the radio is so loud you could hear it in the next county! This guy goes by my spot above the raod in a station wagon, windows down, radio full blast. he passes my spot and gets prob 50 yard up the raod, whre it gets real bad, we hear him spinning tires and it sounds like he got stuck.. figure it serves him right and we sure arent pulling him out!
Unfortunately, he didnt get stuck, he turns around, and upon getting back by where I scrambled up the hill thru the brush to my hiding spot, he sees my tracks , skidds to a stop and bails.. radio still full up, door open now so they hear it 2 counties over! I am maybe 30 yards off the road watching this guy checkking out MY trackjs going up the hill.. I give an "AHEEAM" while making myself fairly obvious, rifle pointed strait up.. he looks up, right at me.. doesnt see me!! goes back to looking at the tracks ( mine..) so... I figure my hunt is pretty much over anyhow, so I stand up, and with the rifle still pointed up, slap the bolt open so it goes CHINK! nice and loud.. He looks up again, gives ME a dirty look, and goes back to his car to resume his raod hunting!
( now guys, maybe you have sympathy at the end of the season, but elk rifle is only 4 days long!!! bowhunters spend as much as ten times that working their %$@#$ off to get there kill! Me I try to do it right for 4 days only to get it ruined by a road hunter, or should I say road killer!

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
OOPS!!! Duh... this was fer deer hunting experiences sorry

Edited by - Adui13 on 03/02/2002 22:29:02
Old 03-02-2002, 10:14 PM

What mad me the maddest was when I was hunting during the youth only season here in missouri. It took me a while to find my stand because my cousin's directions were not the best and it was a hanging stand and it was dark. So not 5 minutes after I get settled in (about 8 or 9ish) a big 7 point walks by me. So I put my scope on him and and shoot him. He drops like a rock didn't even run off or nothing. So I figure i might as well start out of my stand. So I tie up my gun and start lowering my gun with a huge smile on my face. Then the deer starts twitching a little. Figured it was nurves or something so I kept lowering my gun. So it's on the ground now. Then it gets up kinda so I start pulling up my gun but then the deer falls back down and is still. I lower my gun again thinking the deer just had to get that out of it's system now it's dead. Well gradually the deer would get farther and farther every time it got up untill finally it ran into this grown up field. Towards the end i had my gun up but couldn't get a shot. So I wait about an hour to go look for it. No blood at all. I get to where I thought I had last seen it go down and I couldn't find it anywhere. So I go back to the house to get my cousin who had been bowhunting. We get a little lunch and set out about noon. I show him where everything had happened and we follow a trail in the field. I see the deer and say "there he is" and me and my cousin walk over to it and get about a foot away when suddenly it jumps up and takes off running. In all the exitement I eject my shell out of my lever action (for some stupid reason I only loaded one shell in my gun after we ate lunch)the deer runs off never to be seen again. We looked all day for it. The only blood we found was a spot about the size of a half dollar where the deer had been laying for 3 hours. I figured I had hit the shoulder bone and not any vital organs. The deer could have lived if it didn't get an infection. I will always know where my stand is. I will keep shooting the deer untill it quits moving. I will always keep more than one bullet in my gun.

Later that year on opening day of gun season I get to my stand and there is a guy sitting in a lawn chair not 20 feet from it(on private land). I go up to the guy and talk to him but I didn;t have the balls to run him off because I'm just a kid. So I go up the road and take a nap. At lunch I told my cousin about it and he got real mad beause he had already run 2 guys off his hunting spot. So he goes and tells the guy to leave.

I wasn't real mad at the time on either occasion but I get mad when I think about it.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:27 AM
Banned

hunting my butt off and coming upon Bait piles and seeing a enclosed hunting shelter with heat on the public lands I hunt in Northern Wisconsin.

Peak
Live and Learn
Old 03-05-2002, 09:13 AM

Hey Catskillhuntr,
Number 4 on your list sounds familiar. I took a HUGE 10 pointer while lost and probably hunting on someone else's land. I put up a temporary tree stand somewhere off a creek near Woodridge NY. One shot was all it took as I smoked my Marlboro as I gutted him. Maybe I'll go back up soon and try to find my treestand. Where did you say your experience happened again?
Old 03-05-2002, 10:52 AM

mine would have to be when my stands got stolen...i hunt forrest crop land but i got permission from the owner to put lock on stands out all year..i hunt at least a mile from the nearest road so i figured nobody would bother them(i had them locked to the tree with tamperproof cables&locks) so i go out for the evening hunt one night and they were both gone....i was pretty pissed...some tamper proff lock&cable...i've also been threatened out in the woods by other hunters before so now i'm contmplating buying a 44.mag to carry with my every time i go hunting..its a shame that it comes down to that but you gotta do what you gotta do...another thing that gets me cooking is the fact that other hunters think they own every buck in the woods...there are plenty bucks to go around..
Old 03-05-2002, 11:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man I have been reading this thread for a few days and must say I lead a charmed hunting life. The worst that ever happened to me was the land owner shooting over his pond to run the geese off during bow season with 45 minutes of shooting light left. What could I say, it was his pond and his property he was letting me hunt.

The Tazman
Old 03-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

This year I was hunting in a joint hunt with another huntclub and I hit a pretty big buck. We use shotguns and the deer made it to Prison land. It was clearly posted. The guys from the club told me that we were not allowed to go on the land at all. Later I found out that someone else found the deer and cut the horns off. big 8 point 20 inches inside spread and very heavy. I was allowed to go on the land to retrieve a deer just as long as I did not carry a gun. That would have been 2 nice deer that I killed this year. The guy that took the horns will not give them to me. He has a beef with the other huntclub so he is being a jerk about the whole deal.

Quick Reply: What deer hunting experience made you maddest?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.