HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Drag or cart to get deer out of woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/69485-drag-cart-get-deer-out-woods.html)

rockytop 08-18-2004 09:31 AM

Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

I know this has been discussed before but what's better at getting a deer out, one of the two wheeled carts or that plastic drag sled that cabela sales for less than $30. I've got a new place to hunt and 4 wheelers aren't allowed and I got about 1 mile walk in and out. I'm way too old and worn out to be dragging a deer for a mile. I would appreciate your opinions.

mauser06 08-18-2004 09:43 AM

RE: Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

me and dad walk almost 45mins back to our spot....and drug 3 out at one time...no sled or anything......to me sleds and carts would be nice...but a hassle when you dont harvest a deer....but we would never killed 3 without the nice snow we had that morning....we usually kill one each then drag out...or if its early and someone takes one they will drag it to the truck and put it in there and walk back to hunt if theres no snow to help the drag....but id hate to push a cart around empty........

Tazman 08-18-2004 09:51 AM

I am trying something new myself this year, I bought a tow rope for skiing, I cut off most of it except the handle and enough rope to make a loop to put around the deers neck. What I plan on doing is taking a sheet of heavy plastic roll the deer up on it, stick one end of the plastic through the loop around the deers neck and drag away. I will let you all know how it works out.

Deleted User 08-18-2004 11:15 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

pheasbo 08-18-2004 11:17 AM

what about quartering and packing it out on a frame pack?

rochelle 08-18-2004 11:22 AM

I would go with a cart. Not only can you haul out your deer but you can put your stand and bow on the cart as well and make it alot easier. Cart all the way.

Bruce H 08-18-2004 11:26 AM

Years ago the group I hunted with built a cart. We found that the cart was best on the fairly open logging roads, but was almost more work in the woods where we had to go over fallen trees, etc. We would drag the deer out to the logging road and use the cart from there.

Now that I'm older, my 2 young, strapping nephews drag the deer out and I carry the rifles. Ain't that a great deal :D

Bruce

TURKEY FAN 08-18-2004 02:16 PM

Im only 25yrs old, so i am not worried about that yet, even though it would be nice to have a easy way to drag a deer, but you couldnt drive a 4 wheeeler through where i hunt but every other few feet, i hate getting the deer's hoofes caught on trees and vines! My uncle and i will assist one another if we need help if we are both there.

Rickmur 08-18-2004 03:06 PM

what about quartering and packing it out on a frame pack?
Can't do that in the East. Most Eastern states require you to check the animal at a checking station. It can only be field dressed.

bfnc2003 08-18-2004 03:51 PM

Most of the places I hunt are so thick you can barely walk through needless to say pull a grocery cart through it......you just have to tough it out.....i know it sux but hey you went in there after him.!!:( Nah just kidding whatever works best in your area just not much help to me in the swamps