Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Drag or cart to get deer out of woods >

Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

Old 08-18-2004, 03:56 PM

Default RE: Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

I use a deer cart Or a plastic deer sled both work great. Cart is alot easier.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

We use carts and sleds. The carts work the best, but most of the big bucks we take are back in the swamps. The carts would sink and get stuck in the cattails. so a sled coms in handy. I don't take it with me, but the walk back to the truck is well worth the effort.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would go with just plain old dragging the deer out by hand! my buddy shot a 200 lb. plus deer last year and when we finally hauled it onto the cart it took more time to get it out because the deer was so heavy the wheels would sink into the earth and get stuck.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a dragger but the way my knees have been feeling lately I'm seriously considering a cart for this year.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just grab it by the rack and drag it back to the truck tomuch walkin to walk back to the truck get the cart then walk it back to the deer then walk back, in the time it took to do that you could have had the deer to truck already just dragging it. Oh you say just bring the cart with you each time you go in the woods yea you could do that but you are not guarenteed you will down a deer everyday. In my opinion its to much of a hassle either way you look at it.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

And to add where i am used to bow hunting deer is in wetland type areas the wheels of a cart would sink into the mud with a deers weight on it and in my opinion would make it harder then just dragging it.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, I made a decision and ordered a cart. For you guys advising a 55 year old with 5 herniated disc and a knee that's been replaced to tough it out and drag a deer a mile, need to walk a mile in my shoes. If something happened and that was my only choice to get a deer out, then I'd be dragging the deer. I still have the same burning desire to hunt that a young man has, I just don't have the same body parts that I used to have. Anyway, I appreciate all the suggestions and wish all of you a wall hanger and a short drag in the upcoming season.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:25 AM

I drag 100% of the time. I don't bring a cart in the woods with me and around here it's a bad idea to leave an animal laying too long. someone might just stick your already dead animal. Grab a horm and take your time. I consider it more of a marathon than a sprint. In time I'll get it out of the woods.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:06 PM

rockytop,

I've used the deer-sleigher dragging a 150# hog almost two miles out of the SC mountains. It's still work, but that thing is like a sled on fresh snow. It's amazing how it glides over leaves, but it sucks on dirt.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am 58 and disabled I use a cart that I made myself I used wheels off of an old discarded wheelchair it folds in the middle and works great. Yes it can be some trouble going over trees but I usually go around them without it I couldnt get my deer out. I also use it to carry my heavy clothes and bow in I love it. I did notice that Walmart has one now fairly cheap.

Quick Reply: Drag or cart to get deer out of woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.