Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question) >

100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)

Old 08-16-2004, 09:11 PM

Default RE: 100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)

Very well.
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...+factors&hl=en

BTW in your quotes above, I see alot of the word, MAYBE and PROBABLY, but not a DEFINATLEY.
quote:

Nutrition is important, but other factors, such as genetics and age, PROBABLY play a role in the antler growth of deer in Missouri.

And actually, my "Theory of not eating as much that you laughed at, even your "biologist" above states
"Nutrition is the major factor regulating antler size. Poor nutrition caused by overpopulation, severe weather or inferior habitat is a problem in many areas. A farmland yearling can grow a bigger rack than a 3-year-old in a mature forest because it has access to more and higher-quality food. Adult bucks in poor condition may never grow big racks, despite proper genetics. On the other hand, a buck in good physical condition still needs the right genetic code to grow record-book antlers. "

Laugh away, you are wrong.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

On the other hand, a buck in good physical condition still needs the right genetic code to grow record-book antlers. "
Hey like I said you need to read the whole sentence, take a look at the above quote you quoted...now do we see anything their that might point to what I originally said.

By the way I don't disagree nutrients are extremely important to antler growth and deer health in general.

My original statement:
Genetics most certainly plays a part in growth potential, as does nutrients, stress & age.
It is a combination of all elements not just one.

I read the link prior and here is a quote I pulled:

The ultimate size of the antlers is a function of age. The maximum growth occurs in the mature adult and there is a small decrease after this peak is reached.
See anything that might make you go HUM!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

And actually, my "Theory of not eating as much that you laughed at, even your "biologist" above states
"Nutrition is the major factor regulating antler size. Poor nutrition caused by overpopulation, severe weather or inferior habitat is a problem in many areas. A farmland yearling can grow a bigger rack than a 3-year-old in a mature forest because it has access to more and higher-quality food. Adult bucks in poor condition may never grow big racks
Oh for the record the biologist was talking about animals who had different enviromental impacts by way of food and stress levels based on habitat. Your example was pen raised animals with the exact same enviroment and to this you say one didn't eat as much...that is why I laughed.

I admit it you've proved I am out to lunch...thanks again for the enlightenment.

Side note best of luck in your 04' hunting season...
Old 08-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

This must be season number one of the Hoopy & Skeeter show!
Old 08-17-2004, 06:40 AM

Very interesting read, this guy studies antler growth, and has scientifically shown what protiens and chemicals make them grow the fastest.
Once again, it has nothing to do with genetics.
What? He mentions genetics only in passing, as a trigger for calcification. Genetics control every facet of every animals makeup. If genetics play no part in antler development, why are not ALL whitetails in similar areas, that receive similar nutrition, substantially identical?
Genetics and nutrition both play a role.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:48 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Hoopy

Genetics has nothing to do with antler growth, it has been PROVEN scientifically. Just like the Earth is round.
Age has nothing to do with antler growth.
As for why arent all racks the exact same?
Maybe some deer eat more then others, once again, genetics does not play a role in antler developement.
We have a winner! This oficially ranks #1 as the most ignorant deer statement I've ever heard!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:34 AM

Yes, I admit Im dumb, I just listen and read what the Federally approved scientists say on the matter.
What do I know, Im not a hillbilly who knows everything.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:39 AM

I just listen and read what the Federally approved scientists say on the matter
There is the problem. All the researchers that I am aware of that work off of Federal grants are on a never ending quest to find more grant money...er, I mean the truth.
Old 08-17-2004, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I admit Im dumb, I just listen and read what the Federally approved scientists say on the matter
Hoopy,

Which Federal sanctioning body "approves" scientists?
Old 08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I admit Im dumb, I just listen and read what the Federally approved scientists say on the matter.
HOOPY, For one............u got issues For two, i dont trust people all that much with degrees, do u know how many people got their degrees off of web-sites. I interviewed a young lady today who was a history major, and she couldnt name the first president, or any historical event that had taken place........u know what she told me? Said she got all her reports off a web-site for 40$-60$ dollars.......education at its best!
I believe deer grow bigger and better antlers as they get older with proper nutrition and no damage during velvet.

Quick Reply: 100 GOOD QUESTIONS THAT WILL TAKE ALOT OF THOUGHT (2cd question)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.