Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ontario whitetails

Old 08-13-2004, 03:24 PM

Default Ontario whitetails

Just wondering if anyone hunts NW Ontario? Had an opportunity to travel to the Kenora area last year and had a great experience. Just got the invite to go this year Oct30-Nov6. Can't Wait!!!!! The Deer Herd in Michigans U.P is poor. Everyone blames the wolves, but while in Ontario I saw so many wolf tracks/sign and lots of HUGE BUCKS??????
Any comments appreciated
Old 08-18-2004, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ontario whitetails

Big bodied, big racked deer. My brother-in-law has a few on the wall from Northern Ont. where he is from and they are just as impressive as his saskatchewan mounts. Lots of opinions that they can't compete with the western bucks because they are eating twigs instead of the farm crops.

I have seen some pretty huge racks grown from those "twigs". Primarily a moose destination I believe so relatively overall low hunting on the big boys.

Have a great hunt! Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2004, 08:54 PM

Default RE: Ontario whitetails

I had a chance to hunt around Vermillion Bay a few years ago. Did some muskie fishing, then had a few days hunting on some Crown land and a day or two on the lodge owners leased land. Two nice bucks were passed and I had a six point in front of me one day that was just friggen huge....never grew brow tines. Saw a huge shooter for about two seconds, then gone. The deer are big bodied, healthy specimens...that's for sure! Tough critters.....some incredible deer taken in this province. And while there is alot of bush country, there is also a fair amount of farm land in certain areas.