Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 What is a mature buck in your area? >

What is a mature buck in your area?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What is a mature buck in your area?

Old 08-14-2004, 02:31 PM

Default RE: What is a mature buck in your area?

Public land in the area 3 1/2 years 3x3 mulie\
Private land 5-6 year old +170"
Old 08-16-2004, 01:42 AM

3.5 year old deer will get a serious look, but most of the time will be passed. 4.5 5.5 are the mature deer on our place as with anywhere else, but as with anywhere else theres no guarantees they ll make it that far. If we see something we really like, we shoot it, if we have to think about it, we let it go. We try to judge by age as best we can. And we have benefitted greatly.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:58 AM

I let them hunt there. I had seen a much better buck and I was hoping he would get it. Instead he and his father disappointed me by shooting at the first horns they saw. I was hunting pretty close and and it was early in the afternoon when they shot. It is extremely important to take kids hunting. I took my 16 yo sister and put her on her first buck last year (a little pencil horn freak that needed to be taken)

But if you're going to take a kid, might as well teach them restraint and will power while you're at it. I was not so lucky when I was a kid. They gave me a gun and grunted, told me to go shoot something. And I did. I shot the first thing I saw for a long time. That was then.

I was dissapointed because the father, my friend from work, said to me: "We were sittin there and that buck walked out and I saw horens and told my boy : SHOOT! SHOOT!" Not because I allowed a 13 yo kid to shoot a deer out of my stand. Not at all. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.