Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your Favorite Deer Story

Old 02-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Your Favorite Deer Story

mine starts with lots of fog, no wind, at day break, perfect for blacktail.
i waited for such a day for awhile, i had a certain stretch of clearcut that i go through. saplings on up to 5yr growth evergreens.
i started the stalk, kick/pushed a few deer in front, no horns. so i kept moving. pushed a hugh bodied deer in front. (let me stop for a second and explain blacktail, they have unique habit of running about 100yd and turning to see what it was that spooked them, if they dont scent you.) only had a second to see IT before the fog swallowed it, so in hot pursuit i went. we played tag for over an hour, i would be able to pick out a figure in the fog but with my scope in the fog i couldnt see it clearly same with bino's. so i had to get within 40yds or so. every time i would get to the figure it would hear or see me and off it would go, but not far because it would lose sight of me and didnt like that much. id sneak, IT would blow and scare the bageebees outta me, and we would start again. i knew there was a logging road coming over the next rise so i quit following and tried to circle around, i get to the road and start down toward its last spot. take my best guess and start in hoping its looking behind itself. i see the figure coming through the fog, wow, hugh animal, has to be a buck. it stands behind a small cedar and blows back toward were i was, i got a clean shot, easy pick'ns, but cant see the head. that was the longest minute of my life waiting for that DOE to stick its head out from behind the tree. Put the safety back on and stood up, took a deep breath and sighed a bit now knowing i was tracking a doe the whole time. "screw it" i thought, take a break and watch her. slung the rifle and dug in my pocket to get a smoke, as i clicked my lighter i watched her partner bound back were we just came from... rack and all. i was douped!!!
and the game was on again....... over an hour and never did catch up to him again though.

sorry no happy ending, but it was one of my most memorable hunts ever. sticks in my mind as much as the next story i tell.
Old 02-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Banned

I can tell you what story leaves a bad taste in my mouth as opposed to a favorite one because I've heard/read some very interesting ones over the years. But the Rompola Fairy tale has to be the one most nauseating. WR
Old 02-27-2002, 02:27 PM
Fork Horn

or the time my bro-in-law, after shooting his first buck, was so excited that when he went to check the deer after the shot, the eye twitched when he touched it.... and blew off the top of its head. we got that skull mounted as was.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:32 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I told this story a week ago,so I'll make it short.The time I rode a doe down over the hill after my gun jammed.Ended up stabbing it to death
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
OK Yeah right... Rambo
Old 03-05-2002, 05:14 PM

Fazulle, obviously you don't know Cardeer. He's as nice a guy you'll ever meet. He is an older man and he has many, many, many hunting stories. Trust me, Cardeer is telling the truth and I would believe him.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:18 PM

Grey Fantom,
GREAT story!!! I know you must've been dissapointed not having gotten a deer, but you had wanted a buck, if you'd settled for one of the does you'd second guess yourself forever as to whether you should've waited or not.
Good luck this year!

Just my uneducated opinion!
Terry
Old 03-05-2002, 09:56 PM

Thanx Adui13. Good luck to you and all the guys on the board next season.
Grey Fantom's Boonie Webpage
Old 03-05-2002, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

THESE ARE ALL GREAT STORIES, I ALREADY TOLD MINE THE OTHER DAY, BUT CARDEER'S REPLY MADE ME LAUGH LEAVE IT TO CARDEER TO LIVEN UP THE BOARD!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 09:52 AM

it was 1997 and i was 16, it was the last day of the gun season about 11am...i had a tough year missing 4 different bucks so i figured the good lord wouldn't give me anymore chances so i folded up my portable ladder and started the mile hike back to the trailor..i got off the forrest crop land and onto our land and decided to take a break and eat an apple...there was a sandy tail in the tall pines and a ridge coming off it...i put my ladder down and rested my gun beside me when all of a sudden i look up and down the hill comes this buck walking right at me...he was about 30 yard when he saw me and froze...i slowly grabbed my gun and raised and at that moment he turned to back where he came and i shot him in mid swirl knocking him to the ground...he got back up and ran about 30 yards into the really thick brush before death...he was a small basket rack 9-pointer with his right side webbed...my first buck!!!!(i was happy)
Old 03-06-2002, 12:45 PM

My best memory is the first time I ever saw a buck in the wild. I was bowhunting at my brother-in-laws farm and it was getting late. I looked around one last time before getting down and going home. As I looked over my right shoulder, I saw a deer walking towards me. The deer turned out to be a pretty darn big buck. Still one of the largest I've ever seen while hunting. The deer approached my stand and I had to adjust to see him. I got into a new position and then saw a SECOND buck come in. The two deer locked horns! Cool!! They pushed each other around a little bit then to my surprise, the large deer got worked into a PERFECT shooting lane. The only problem....I didn't cut one stinking branch off the tree I was in. I could NOT get my bow into position. All I could do was watch. Bummer!! Then a couple of does showed up and the fight was over. The large buck ran back down the way he came along with the does. The smaller buck ran right under my stand. He stopped and looked towards me for a moment then kept on running. Happened too quick for me to try to take a shot. I smiled all the way back to my truck!

-Mike

Quick Reply: Your Favorite Deer Story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.