Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new guy needs advice

Old 08-11-2004, 06:23 PM

Default new guy needs advice

i am 30 years old and just getting started. no one in my family hunts so i don't know where to begin. i know i need to take firearm safety courses and practice at the range first, but i don't even know what kind of firearm to start with. i am interested in deer, waterfowl and turkey hunting, gun or bow. i need some help. which would be the best starting place? i visited the young hunter forum, but it seems aimed at kids and teens. i'm an old guy to them. help!
Old 08-11-2004, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new guy needs advice

i'll give you my opinion , but i'm sure others will have better advice...i personally love my 12 gauge , i hunt everything from quail to deer and hogs with that gun......i have only been hunting a few years, no one in my family hunted either , my sister got me into it a few years back...i have learned so much from the good folks on here and actually spending time in the woods ....i am glad you are going to start huntin', youre already on the right track, definately start with hnters education course near you.....good luck and happy(safe) hunting.....

i forgot ......WELCOME
Old 08-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would join a local gun club that has hunters as members, that way you can pick the local "experts" brains ,take any advice with a big grain of salt and maybe tag along to hunt . Get a set of state hunting regulations this will give you a idea of what guns are legal for deer .For waterfowel a 12 gau pump gun 3" chamber 26 " or 28" with choke tubes and a slug barrel if you live in or will hunt a slug only area . If there is a DU chapter in your area go to a meeting and talk some members for local advice . IMO bow hunting is something I would just jump into ,hunt a year or 2 with a firearm . For turkey find a local hunter and talk . I started hunting at 14 with no family that hunted , my father said theres the guns go hunting if you want .
Old 08-11-2004, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely suggest to join a gun club and it sure wouldn’t hurt to take a safety coarse as you mentioned. As for firearms, I would say that after you take your safety coarse you would then be a little more familiar with what calibers to get and what the different calibers are used for. Then the fun begins. You might consider getting a 22lr just to get use to shooting and handling a firearm. Good luck in your adventure.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:46 AM

For what it's worth, here's my opinion....You mentioned quite a few areas of hunting that you'd like to get involved with...deer, waterfowl, turkey, gun or bow. I suggest you get yourself a 12 gauge shotgun that takes both shot and slug. You can then use the same gun on small game (shot) as well as big game (deer). If you like the sport, purchase yourself a rifle in a couple of years. As for bow hunting, the best learning tool is experience but as a newbie to hunting you might get discouraged real quick. Bow hunting requires a more indepth knowledge of deer than gun hunting does. If you've got a deer hanging up out there at 60 yards, you can reach out and touch him with a gun. When you're hunting with a bow, you have to be able to "read" the deer in order to get him within bow range. Being new to the sport, you might get frustrated in bow hunting and give up hunting all-together. And we don't want that.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:22 PM

jp,

You did not state a few things, like where do you live?

Each state has different laws regarding the type of animal you want to hunt. Also, there are differnt types of weapons to hunt with, Rifle, Shotgun, Bow, Muzzleloader, what do you want to start with? Also, do you know anyone near you that hunts that might help you? Taking the hunter safety course is required, you will also lear more there.

Welcome to the board. Read as much as you can and try to ask specific questions. Also, try the different forums on this board.

Let us know where you live and maybe we could start from there.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 08-12-2004, 03:47 PM

Yeah. Read up on the laws and visit the range often. if you live in a rifle friendly state, I suggest a .30-06. all around great round and versitile. little strong on the recoil, I suppose, but it will work on anything. Have you been invited some place or are you looking for a place to go? If you have a place to go, scout around, take inventory. Take a camera. learn how deer move through the world. Oh, and very key : learn how to field dress a deer properly! And find a place to take it for processing (self processing is rewarding but that's an advanced activity) Read hunting magazines.

The most important thing to remember. . . . wait BE SAFE. . The SECOND most imprtant thing to remember is that its not about the kill, its about the whole experience. Hunting for me loses some of its shine without my companions. Its a good way to make friends and strengthen freindships. But even so, hunting is about taking a deep breath and sucking up a little bit of nature. The shot is easy. pull the trigger bang-dead. The hunt is out smarting the rascal, being in the right place at the right time, blending in with the scenery and striking your quarry at unawares. Keep that in mind, and you're on your way. And don't get discouraged if you don't bag a monster the first time out. I'm 29, myself and I just got my best deer by far last season after hunting the same spot for 8 years! I had to watch my stinking little brother gut a 13 point monster there the ONE time I let him sit my stand! That's gut wrenching.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:53 PM

I live in California. I don't know anyone who hunts, plenty who fish. I definately will start off at a hunter safety course. I have had it recommended to me not to use the rental guns that ranges offer, but to bring my own. What do you think?
Old 08-13-2004, 06:45 AM

JP,

Cali, well that is a little far from me in PA. Anyway, hunting takes time to learn and depends on what animal you want to hunt, like deer. Finding a gun you like to shoot maybe some what easier. Many people like a 30-06, 270, 30-30, 7mm, just to name a few. I myself have a Mossberg shotgun with a rifled barrell, plus a Savage 30-06, with a Bushnell scope, 2 muzzleloaders, bow, 2 22's.

Anyway, what you want to shoot depends on what kind of budget you have to spend. Vist some local gun shops, sometimes they will have used rifles there as well. But you could be buying into someone else's problems.

I know guys that just like muzzleloaders since they are challenging and fun, plus give you more options to hunting. CA has muzzleloading season. Visit the CA Fish and Game Commission website and review what the regulations are, seasons, are, and open places to hunt, if you don't have access to private land.

It also takes time to acquire all of the things necessary to do hunting. Also, scouting prior to the season can be helpful in getting that deer. Also, what to do after you do get one, like field dressing and butchering.

Good luck....

Tom
Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM

Might be alright to go shoot a rented gun for the first couple times, but you need to have your own, become familiar with it, and know your gonna hit where the crosshairs say. And you gotta give it a name. Just do some casual reading in some magazines and get comfortable with it. The kill is the culmination of lots and lots of preparation. And this is a good place too. Jump into conversations and ask questions.

Quick Reply: new guy needs advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.