Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some help

Old 08-09-2004, 12:41 PM

Default Need some help

Hope someone can give me some advice... I changed my scope and put flip up dust covers on it. I went to the range, and low and behold, it busted me in the nose and broke it. Ive since healed, went to the range today, and cant hit squat. it seems Im scared of being busted in the nose again. can some one give me some advice on the best way to be accurate when shooting and learn to relax?

Just call me shakey pete LOL
Old 08-09-2004, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Need some help

hmmmmm...... I suggest taking a few quick shots. I noticed that I got buck fever real bad and if I thought about taking a shot, I was likely to lose accuracy, but when an opprotunity presented its self and I had to act quick, I have made some unbelievable shots.
Other than that, burn up some ammo and get used to it all over again. You do it enough, you ought to be able to put your mind at ease.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try some reduced loads and or a 22 . A flinch is a hard thing to lose.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shooting a lower powered rifle may work. How about trying out a Limb Saver recoil pad. It definitely reduced the kick on my old rifle.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

OUCH !!!!!

Just like when you feel off your bike, patch your wounds and jump back on. Try the lower recoil to get the fear down like john mentioned. Changing scope did you pick one with less Eye relief? Did you mount correctly for your head position when shooting? What do you use for a rest at the range? Try making sand bags with lead shot, sand or beans so it can be built up or down. You could also buy an adjustable range rest. Could try having your trigger adjusted down in pull weight to 3 lbs area, this way the gun goes bang with little effort or concentration. Place a insulated glove duct taped over the butt of the stock to reduce felt recoil. Have a buddy watch you shoot and assess what your doing(peaking, flinched, turning away, jerking or pulling the trigger). Slow down not a race 2 good shots are better than 4 poor ones. TP/flinchs is tough to overcome you just need to get confidence back and don't worry when hunting rarely do guys get SF'd.

For god sakes tuck her in next time.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:55 PM

I gave some 12 gauge 3" winchester supreme partition gold slugs to my step mom to try. She never took them to the range to shoot, so when she shot at a deer the scope busted her in the eye, breaking her glasses and giving her a black eye. I guess I should have told her that those slugs have some kick!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

You may also have a muzzle break installed on your gun. They significantly reduce the recoil. Makes the gun much louder tho. Make sure you bring hearing protection with you when you hunt.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats funny. Bobby
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok, now did she get the deer.