Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Old 08-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default How many of you dread the annual wife war?

I know lots of us go through the annual tug-o-war with the Mrs. for precious hunting time and I was wondering if I was alone on this or do any of you also struggle too with hunting and the homefront? I own my own company and could've skipped out a lot more but I have a good manager yet I still only took a total of one week plus 2 days last fall all broken up here and there and stayed home all weekends with the 2 kids. But she complains about "my hunting" anyway. She's a type A on lots of other things too and more of a city girl so I could be the only guy out there with this problem but please give me some feedback.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: How many of you dread the annual wife war?

You got to be kidding me,Who wears the pants??? Huntin season comes my wife kicks me out and says see you at the end of the season.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife "god bless her" knows the score when it comes to hunting. In fact when we first started dating I said to her I really like you and would love to get know you a lot more but their is one thing you need to know. I'm sure she was thinking he has a gf back home(since I met her while we both worked at a fishing camp for the summer). I said when we get home and back to school I will be a tough character to track down being fall and all. Again her mind racing.."Why is that?" she replied. Well because fall is hunting season and I am what you call.....obsessed with it. I gave her the option from the beginning to decide if she could handle this obession and well I guess you can figure out what the outcome was!

Ok now for reality after marriage and 2 kids I can't complain I hunt/scout/practice a lot each year but she does get on my case to a degree. I fully admit it I have a serious problem when it comes to hunting and if their was an Alnon or Support group for wives who's husbands live to hunt my flippin' wife would be the President! I have come to the realization that time needs to be spent in both areas. Yes there are days where instead of jumping in my truck to head for the woods, I am in the van with the Mrs. and kids off to walmart or pet store or mall.

I have always encouraged her to do her own thing on her own time, hobbies, shopping, dinner/movie/coffee with her friends. I involve her in my quest with regards to hunting and ask the same in her interests. Communication, no you don't have to like it but if you communicate, accept and share it makes things go much smoother. Of course the ever popular Honey I do list...urg! I do not ask questions, if she's got it on the list then she has decided it is required...got pick your battles and gives her some power I also do things she usually handles to allow her free time. Finally any extended hunting trip I take I have always arranged for flowers to be delivered while away. Some call it buying happiness but I call it thank you for the support, love and of course I miss you!

You need to talk with her about hunting, what it means and why you like to do it so much. She needs to know this is part of you and hindering or nagging you is like saying "something is wrong with you" and it is affecting your relationship to a degree.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:37 AM

Haven't had a prolbem since the divorce
Old 08-09-2004, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL Rottweiler !

Mine was informed early on , "Hunting is something I do , deal with it any way you want but NEVER interfere." She is requesting to go deer hunting with me this Fall , heck if the deer don't show at least I won't get bored .
Old 08-09-2004, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am fortunate, she doesn't bug me at all. I told her when we first met that I disappear in the fall. Usually at the end of the season we go out to real fancy dinner.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

The battle has already begun and we don't start bow season until 2 October. I shoot in the back yard, I work on my guns and inventory my ammo and have begun preparing all my gear for the upcoming season. I can't really blame her though. I hunt 4 days a week during the season and all day on Saturday, so basically I hunt 5 days out of 6 (can't hunt on sunday - illegal). She knows I have an addiction. I make some sacrifices during the season just to stay in hee good graces. I have 3 daughters, 1 is seven and the twins are almost 4. The twins were born on opening day of gun season 4 years ago and I went hunting that same day. Now there is a wife with some understanding.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

After 27 years she knows the routine.............
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here. I told her when we first met, I hunt and that's all there is too it. If you don't try and interfere with it then we won't have a problem. So far, so good
Old 08-09-2004, 06:52 AM
Typical Buck

After 21 years, she still hates it and complains sometimes. But she's used to it and deals with it well. I've got one more thing on that honey do list to finish this month and it's off to the woods Sept. 11. BTW, anniversary is Sept. 10th, so maybe I've got 2 more things to do!!! If Georgia makes that season one day earlier, I'm really going to get it!!!

Quick Reply: How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.