Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many of you dread the annual wife war?

Old 08-11-2004, 02:28 PM

Default RE: How many of you dread the annual wife war?

I am very fortunate that my wife, 16 year old daughter and 6 year old son love to hunt and spend time in the woods.
This is the best situation. Wonderful when it becomes a family affair by all those willing to participate. This is how it is with my family, provided we have someone watching our 2 youngest.

My oldest daughter (13) has taken interest and is a great shot, so recently she has been going out with (step) dad. No luck as of yet but I look forward to when she brings home her first moose/buck.

I would like to do this myself but am not confident in my shooting (I don't practice at the range enough), I've left it up to my husband and daughter to do the shooting. In the meantime I shoot...with my camera
Old 08-12-2004, 05:19 AM

well this is my 3rd wife and since day 1 she has always been supportive of my hunting,, heck the first year we where together she asked me to take her along on a scouting trip.
that was the hook we got home that nite and she kept talking about taking hunters ed, here in mich hunters ed classes are given mostly in sept , so she was already to go deer hunting in nov.
she knows from oct 1st till nov 14th its my hunting time, but she is right there during gun season, and i have never seen a woman who could sit still so long or quite for that fact,

and during bow season she says the same thing to me every morning
DON'T COME HOME UNLESS YOU GET A DEER LOL
as well both my daughters will be hunting this year hell i get more grief from the inlaws about females hunting
Old 08-12-2004, 05:29 AM
Typical Buck

Im getting married in Jan but have many descusions about the subject with my fiance. We have been together for a year and a half and she knows how i love to hunt. Last season i hunted a good bit but not as much as i normally do because i felt kinda quilty about not spendin much time with her. She says that she would never ever keep me from doing something i love, lets hope. She is also a diehard city girl and doesnt understand the whole hunting thing, what i get out of it. The season is coming and she is coming to terms with the fact that we wont see much of each other for a month or so. Guys keep telling me that it gets worse and that my hunting days are over once i say I DO, but i think i got a good girl and i will prove them wrong.

Dave
Old 08-12-2004, 08:26 AM

my older brother is married and has 4 kids, his wife works all the time, and when she isnt working, she is usually drinking or at someones house, he takes me hunting every year even though im plenty old enough to go it alone. his wife is too lazy to watch her kids, she is drunk all the time, im afraid he wont have much time out in the woods, OH and his wife is a bi*ch 90% of the time. she argues when he goes fishing, hunting, and pretty well anything else. and she argues at me all the time, BE PROUD THAT YOU DONT KNOW HER! lol. OH, and the reason my brother dont work, is because he has to watch the devil's offspring kids.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

You guys kill me...."My wifey and I have the perfect relationship, we get along great and she doesn't mind me hunting at all, she does her thing and I do mine...blah, blah, blah, smooch, kisses, hugs, love" YEAH RIGHT!!! [:'(][:'(] Anyway, got a good laugh out of some of those, especially the one about after the divorce no problems!!!

I don't have too much of a problem with the woman, I spelled it out to her before we got married, took a few years for her to get accustomed but she has adjusted to my hours in the woods. Good thing she likes the wild game meat, especially deer, she won't eat beef anymore! But she does start getting on my case every now and then after 3 months into the season....you have to strike a good balance with the kids also, sacrifice a hunt or two to get to those soccer and football games, and then take them with in the afternoon.

At this point I tell her when I'm going out and she plans accordingly, see...no problem!!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 AM

Damn, my wife likes to go with me. Been a while since she got to gear up and go to the stand with me on account of the little ones, but she still goes to hang out at the camp with the other women folk. I suppose its different for everyone. For me, its a family thing. We have 20 or so people every weekend and have a central camp for our 6000 acre lease. The ladies stay in and cook, but most do a little hunting themselves, especally in the evenings. The mornings are for the men. I get plenty of time on my own when I'm in the stand or scouting my area, so when we get back to camp, it's bow practice or passing around the video camera to show off (bonus for filming a kill shot!) Or fixing hunting jeeps. Ah and butchering deer and hogs. I like my wife to be there. Keeps the sleeping bag a little warmer at night. Holds the hose while I wash guts of my hands. Makes me hot chocolate when I come in on a cold morning. Holds a leg while a clean a hog my dad gutshot(nasty!) The plan is to let her sit in my rifle stand and film me bow hunting from the tree this year. That would be cool to get that on tape.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:58 AM

My wife gives a little grief, but not too bad. Things change when you have young children. They are extremely difficult to handle alone.

I compromise. The only hunting I do is for whitetails. The rest of the year I spend 95% of my time with her and the kids. I do alot of chores around the house, I wash clothes, sweep, clean, etc. I stay in good graces with her. It's only fair. I know I would not want my wife to be gone 4 months out of the year with me stuck with the kids. Its all about give and take.

And for those of you responding that have never had small children, you really can't speak from experience.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:50 PM

You should check out this video of Jeff Foxworthy negotiating with his wife on camera. I've posted it on image station at the below link but i'm not sure if it will work since I've never posted a video before. It's about 2mb.

'http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid134/pa76ddaf6e3b795553dafcec99dc6406f/f770ebc0.mpg'
Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM

I have a great wife.....she knows in the fall I hunt. I guess I am just lucky
Old 08-14-2004, 06:53 PM

I'm a country mouse that married a city mouse. I now live in the city but my wife understands that the annual deer hunt is very important to me and the one of the only times each year I get to spend with my father and uncles. This has even become more clear since one of my uncles passed way a few months ago at age 55.

For many years, I have been a part time musician and in the past year recorded a collection of songs I about deer hunting and hunt camp life. I asked my wife if she would sing on one of the songs I wrote for the CD and she agreed. Now, that's what I call support!

If you're interested you can hear samples of some of our songs at www.buckfever.ca