Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Homemade Feeder

Old 08-05-2004, 10:30 AM

Default Homemade Feeder

Baiting is legal where I hunt. I just bought 80 acres with Federal Land on two sides. I would like to make a 1/2 dozen (or so) feeders to put on the property. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-05-2004, 03:39 PM

Default RE: Homemade Feeder

Multiple feeders will decease the effectiveness. Stick with one or two. Whitetails WILL find them, trust me. You can make a simple demand feeder from a garbage can. Run some allthread thru the can about three inches below the top, to form an "X" to anchor the support cables. Then take a saber saw with a metal cutting blade and cut four slits at 90 degrees to each other just above the bottom of the can, about four inches long. Pound in the metal above the cuts to open them up and form a shelf for the feed. Hang the can about 24 to 30 inches high, using wire cables attached to the "X" you formed. Fill with corn, and then watch the TRAILS to the feeder, not the feeder itself.

Or simply buy a digital, programable timer and attach it to a barrel yourself, or just buy the feeder itself.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:21 PM

i made 2 self feeders out of 4" pvc you need 10 feet of pipe a 2 sweep 90s and 4 caps cut a short piece of pipe just long enouph to glue in the bottom of the y and glue a cap on the short piece to make a bottom drill a few small holes in the cap so the wate wont sit in the bottom and sour the corn, glue the pipe strait up from the bottom cap ..do not glue on the top cap that is the fill hole . i made mine about 41/2 feet tall and it hold about 20 to 25lbs of corn. just strap them to trees with bungee cords.I painted mine camo and you have to look hard to see them. I put them out 2 months before the season in a place where the deer wernt coming within 200 yrds and by the time the season came i was filling both of the feeders 2 times a week. thats my feeder I am on a budget..
Old 08-05-2004, 10:22 PM

pvc gravity feeders are the cheapest way. I bought a timer and put in on a small 25 gallon drum. I just want to warn you about something else. Can the public hunt on the federal land beside you? If they can you need to make it clear that your land is private. My friend owns a lot of land that is scattered in and amongst a national refuge. He spends a lot of time running off trespassers. He has sings every where. If this land around you is public and pressured you should have some good bucks hangin on your land once season starts. Anyway congrates on the land and good luck.