Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethical Or Not??? Part Two

Old 02-25-2002, 10:45 PM

Default Ethical Or Not??? Part Two

I think the ranches are best for disabled hunters, or hunters with health problems, or hunters that can't make those long hikes on foot into today's public land. Hunters like that deserve a little adantage to counterbalance their disadvantage. that's just my opinion.

I'd like to hear your twist on the subject: Who then should be able to use ranches?

People who want meat? People who want trophies? People who have the money?
T.V. Stars like Bill Jordan? Disabled or disadvantaged hunters? People who feel it's ethical to do so?
</img>
Hunting leaves tracks on my heart and imprints memories in my head.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:56 PM

Default RE: Ethical Or Not??? Part Two

I support every form of legal hunting. I wouldn't enjoy that type of hunt myself, but as long as it is legal, I have no problem with those who do. There are some ranches that do offer a very 'wild' hunt. As hunters, we need to stick together and support each other. Not to say you can't try to change the laws if you don't agree, but don't do it in public and don't divide the ranks. The same goes for baiting, dogs, trophy hunting, dove hunting, ect. If we divide ourselves, the Antis job is much easier.
Old 02-25-2002, 11:03 PM

I think that disabled hunters should be able to use atv's on public land to get back into the woods futher.
Grey Fantom are you talking about ranches that are fenced in like a zoo?
Old 02-25-2002, 11:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I WOULD AGREE WITH GREEN, ITS A FORM OF LEGAL HUNTING I MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH IT, BUT ITS LEGAL AND IF A DISABLED HUNTER WANTS TO HUNT LIKE THAT THEN HATS OFF TO HIM OR HER.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

I too agree with Green! If it is legal, it is up to you how you want to hunt! As I've said before, these &quot;pens&quot; are sometimes several thousand acres large. Even if its only 640 acres, that is a square mile of land! These deer are not exactly tame! As I said if its legal, you've got my support! Lets fight the anti's, not each other!
Old 02-26-2002, 01:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Im a yankee ,but learned a big lesson when I lived in South Texas.Them ranches that are fenced are huge.There are some bucks the operators only seen a couple times in years.Then there is the feeder discussion.I spent days and weeks down there huntin and seen very few deer ever come to the feeders in shooting hours. Then I Got stupid and tried walking off the road ways.Took me weeks to pick out the cactus stickers from my butt.I was never poked and stabbed so many times in my life.Looked like I was riddled with a machine gun.Not to mention the brown stripes on my underwear after the rattlesnake nailed my boot.You dont go in after them deer on them ranches,so all that ground is only for the animals,you have to stay on the shooting lanes.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have no problem with any legal form of hunting, the only thing I do find upsetting is when someone goes to one of the fenced in garuanteed hunts, picks out the deer at the feeder, shoots it and then brags about what a great hunter they are! Do not get me wrong there are some huge fenced operations that are not that way, but some of them disgust me. Like I said if it is legal, that is fine with me, just do not come telling me what a great hunter you are if you shoot deer in a pen.

The Tazman
Old 02-26-2002, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I too have no problem with any legal form of hunting. Too each his own. However, let's differentiate between a high fenced &quot;ranch&quot; that has wild deer and a game ranch that has small fenced in enclosures and all the game is privately owned. Yes, there are people that have herds of privately owned whitetail that they buy/sell. These are not wild deer and hunting them can not be considered fair chase. I know of one such operation that has a private herd in a 20 acre fenced enclosure. You sit in a blind with a notebook that has a picture of each buck and a price if you shoot that particular buck.

I consider this type of shooting an animal unethical and unsportmanshiplike. It is legal and I will support the right of people who do it, but will hold them in low regard, even if they are in a wheelchair. I know of several people in a wheelchair who can't tromp through the woods, but with help they can hunt good stands for wild deer. I would whole-heartedly support their right to hunt wild deer in a blind/feeder setup.

The &quot;canned hunt&quot; is probably like the bad things that people do with firearms, you have to take the good with the bad. I don't know how you outlaw one without affecting the other.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:55 AM

I'm not trying to step on any toes, but here's what I don't understand. A guy back east will hunt a 10 to 20 acre woodlot and say it's fair chase. BUT....If you hunt a 1000 acre &quot;PEN&quot; it's not fair chase only killing something.
Is everybody trying to tell me a deer can't get away from a hunter in 1000 acres (or even 400) of brush?
Old 02-26-2002, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Grey Fantom - Anybody should be able to kill animals on game farms - if its legal.

That does NOT mean, however, that it was hunting.

Quick Reply: Ethical Or Not??? Part Two

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.