Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Salt lick questions

Old 07-27-2004, 05:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Salt lick questions

It should be fun luggin a 50 pound block of salt, shovel, rake, bucket and a 5 pound bag of salt back in there!!!!!
Just think of the heck of a time your going to have to get that bruiser out of there.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:59 AM

All I do is toss out a 25lb block of salt. The ones that people used to use in water softeners or cow salt blocks. Just toss it out there next to a main trail. When it's gone, just put another one out. Not that tough. lol Pretty cheap. Probably around $3-4 per block. It's good to have them out in spring too. Deer probably need salt the most in spring, but then again in fall when all the crops are maturing. I don't think that salt will bring in deer consistantly, but it will help in developement. I've tried that deer cocaine too. Pretty interesting when you come back to the spot and the deer have dug a two foot hole trying to get at all the mineral.
Old 07-27-2004, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Just think of the heck of a time your going to have to get that bruiser out of there.
Funny thing is the buck I killed there last year dressed at about 165-175 and he didn't seem as heavy as that block of salt!
Old 08-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like someone needs a quad!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am not that OLD!!!!![8D]
Old 08-16-2004, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Tazman

I am not that OLD!!!!![8D]

yes you are
Old 08-17-2004, 12:23 AM
Typical Buck

It's illegal to hunt over one here in Indiana but I use one close to the house so the kids and visitors get to see deer.

I use one of those brown mineral blocks they sell for cattle and set it on a piece of flat limestone to keep it OFF the ground. I also put another piece of limestone about the same size as the block on top. this way it lasts about 10 times as long as if it is on the ground and wet all the time. The "topper" keeps the rain from just eroding it away.

The deer will lick the sides and the limestone both but what I've always seen most is they lick and eat the dirt so long as the minerals are getting in to it. Afte a year or two the area literally looks like hogs have wallowed it out and it stays wet and muddy all the time. There are fresh tracks in that mud everyday.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jack you can't hunt over one in Va. either, I will have to remove it 10 days before the season comes in.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

The salt blocks i put out last year are still partially there but the ground is getting ripped up around so i know they're using it.
Old 08-17-2004, 06:49 PM

noone else said this but if you put it on a stump deer will love it the same but when it is gone the stump has a lot of salt in it.

i have a stump that we but a salt block on about 4 years ago and now that it is long gone i still see deer nibbling on the stump........good luck at getting a big one

Quick Reply: Salt lick questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.