Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 I think I'm going to be sick.... >

I think I'm going to be sick....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I think I'm going to be sick....

Old 07-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default I think I'm going to be sick....

From today's Chicago Tribune (July 18, 2004) Metro section..............

By Jon Yates, Tribune Staff Reporter

An Indiana hunting lodge owner has been indicted by a federal grand jury for allegedly drugging white tail deer, putting them in pens, then allowing wealthy customers to shoot them, sometimes for as much as $20,000 per animal.

Federal officials last week charged Russell G. Bellar, 49, of Peru, Ind., with dozens of violations of wildlife statutes.

The 38-count indictment also names Hinds Tom Jones, 36, of Edwars, Miss., who served as Bellar's manager at the 1,200 acre hunting preserve near Peru, about 150 miles southeast of Chicago.

Prosecuters allege Bellar and Jones conducted at least 51 illegal hunts on the property since January 2001, sometimes allowing people to pick out the deer they wanted to kill in advance. The indictment alleges that some of the hunters were not licensed to hunt in Indiana, used illegal weapons such as crossbows and rifles, hunted out of season and used bait to lure the animals.

Customers pais $4,000 to $20,000 to shoot the deer, investigators said, and sometimes tranquilized the animals to move them. The men then gave the deer drugs to wake them before they were shot, investigators said. "It was not sporting at all," said Stephen Sellers of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. "That is not hunting."

Some of the animals were then illegally shipped over state lines, the indictment says. The men were also charged with lying to federal agents.

Messages left for Bellar at the lodge were not returned. A woman who answered the phoneat his house sais he was gone for the day. A message left at Jone's home was not returned.

On its Web site Bellar's Place promises the "hunt of a lifetime," with fine accomodations and the thrill of hunting trophy whitetail deer."Investigators say Bellar's advertised itself as the largest deer hunting ranch in Indiana and boasts of having more than one deer per acre.

Investigators said the lodge caters to high-end clientele. "It's people who want to hunt for trophies... It's more of a luxury-type hunt," said Joseph Van Bokkelen, U.S. attorney for the Northern Indiana District of Indiana

No hunters have been charged in the case.

END.

Questions I'm kinda wondering about...........

1. What exactly is a "luxury-type hunt" Jeeves?

2. No "hunters" have been charged in the case? No "hunters" ever will be charged in the case either. Because folks who do this kinda crud ARE NOT HUNTERS!

I HOPE THESE DIRTBAGS GET THEIRS!

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 PM

Default RE: I think I'm going to be sick....

Here in Wisconsin, if you got the land high fenced you can do whatever you want. thats the reason theres so much poaching of big deer in iowa. rich guys want a big mount to hang in the office. big money there to poach big bucks, sell them to these guys. i think high fence hunts are legit, but dont let them in the record books. what these guys were do is totally wrong. hope they get theirs.

slayer
Old 07-18-2004, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's really, really sick!
Old 07-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If this proved to be true it is worse than poaching . I think all involved should be taken out back and shot or at least hung by their "short hair".
Old 07-18-2004, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What johnch said sounds good to me.[:@]
Old 07-19-2004, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

life just never seems to amaze me anymore......i love hunting , and i'd do anything for a trophy buck, but there's that line......you must never cross.......regardless, if God wants you tot have one, he'll get ya one......if not, i'm just happy being a hunter spending time in the woods
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hold your horses a bit. I don't know the particulars of IN law, but with a high fence situation, the critters inside the fence are basically livestock in the eyes of the law in many states. That means you can legally do whatever you want with them, they are your property. Shooting your cow is not hunting, charging money to let someone else shoot your cow is not selling a hunt.

I have heard a bit about this Bellar guy, and the way I understood it, the hunt was not purchased. It was the stay at his facility, with the opportunity to go "hunting" if you wanted to. We all know that the reality is that folks were basically paying to hunt, but what Bellar was doing may be legal.

I don't condone any high fence operation. Don't believe everything you read in the paper.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Paying for the stay at the facilty with the opportunity to go "hunting" if you wanted to?

Just how exactly does that work? Would it work with prostitution? I just rented the room with an "opportunity" to........?

I think if the feds had undercover guys in there (they did) and came up with 30+ counts on the indictment there's plenty to this.

I think hunting inside of any kind of enclose constructed of man made materials or even an enclosure made up of trees by man is not fair chase.

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 07-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care for hunting in enclosures either.

From what I've heard, the state has been after this guy for a long long time. They just couldn't stand the fact that he had an operation set up so he wasn't under their thumb. Don't you think it's a bit strange to have undercover agents and feds to boot, just to bring down this one guy. Seems there are better uses of taxpayer money.

I don't know the whole story, and we'll have to wait and see just how many of those indictments stick.
Old 07-19-2004, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

[:@]

Quick Reply: I think I'm going to be sick....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.